Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut.

/ Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut.
Maybe one or 2 of the hammers are not swinging freely. Check you didn't over tighten them and that they all swing smoothly. You probably thought of that but throwing it out there in case.
Good suggestion and a real possibility. I did check and these do have some room laterally on the mount.
I did check for free swing though. Thanks!

/ Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut. #12  
I’m having a similar issue with some winter weeds or grasses that haven’t died off yet. For me it’s the tires pressing down the grass. It should be much better with the Bahai grass coming back now.

I just finished today replacing all the Y blades. I sure hope I’m not disappointed as it wasn’t an easy job. Flail Master was good to work with.

Update: I am pretty convinced at this point that the tires are causing the initial problem.
I think this being a flail that spins against the direction of travel doesn't help with this issue. I think if the grass is partially laying over and pointing in the direction of travel then the blades may have a harder time cutting and may more just push the grass down.

Anyone come up with any ideas to help combat this issue?
I can see that the flail does create some suction but it isn't much which I think is just the nature of the mower.

/ Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut. #14  
Update: I am pretty convinced at this point that the tires are causing the initial problem.
I think this being a flail that spins against the direction of travel doesn't help with this issue. I think if the grass is partially laying over and pointing in the direction of travel then the blades may have a harder time cutting and may more just push the grass down.

Anyone come up with any ideas to help combat this issue?
I can see that the flail does create some suction but it isn't much which I think is just the nature of the mower.
I’m ready to agree with you on the tire tracks. I just replaced all my Y blades and still have tire tracks. It’s better but still an issue. Blame it physics I guess. I’ll toy with the roller height to see if a shorter cut creates more suction. I expect it does.

I’m ready to agree with you on the tire tracks. I just replaced all my Y blades and still have tire tracks. It’s better but still an issue. Blame it physics I guess. I’ll toy with the roller height to see if a shorter cut creates more suction. I expect it does.
I have dropped my cut from 3 inches to 2.5 and it didn't make much difference. Much lower and I'll hit the ground. Going slower seemed to help a little but really it is at a crawl so that is not efficient!
I think wet, green grasses are part of the issue as they don't really spring back up much.
I can see at the front of the mower that it is trying to "lift" the grasses some.

Does your flail spin the same as tire movement or spin against it? Mine rotates in the opposite direction of the tires forward movement.
My big John Deere one spins forward, same as tire rotation, and doesn't have this issue. However it is using the scoop style cutters rather than hammers.

/ Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut. #16  
I have dropped my cut from 3 inches to 2.5 and it didn't make much difference. Much lower and I'll hit the ground. Going slower seemed to help a little but really it is at a crawl so that is not efficient!
I think wet, green grasses are part of the issue as they don't really spring back up much.
I can see at the front of the mower that it is trying to "lift" the grasses some.

Does your flail spin the same as tire movement or spin against it? Mine rotates in the opposite direction of the tires forward movement.
My big John Deere one spins forward, same as tire rotation, and doesn't have this issue. However it is using the scoop style cutters rather than hammers.
Mine goes opposite the tire rotation, sweeping forward. I have come to prefer it in tamed areas over the rotary cutter. No windrows mostly, but also shorter, requires less power, & quieter.

/ Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut. #17  
Yep, cut it lower.

Mine goes opposite the tire rotation, sweeping forward. I have come to prefer it in tamed areas over the rotary cutter. No windrows mostly, but also shorter, requires less power, & quieter.
Went out and did a 3.5 acre field. Nice an flat with 5-8 inch natural field grasses and weeds. Pretty tame stuff.
Ran at a 2.5 inch cut and took my time.
Then end result is terrible. Looks like it was done with a crappy, unleveled brush hog with bad blades.
You get one nicer strip of cut grass but then you also get strips of grass that is 3 inches taller.
It is really disappointing.
If it didn't leave these stripes it would be a really nice cut.

I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

20220501_143355.jpg

/ Betstco FH-EFGC155 Flail, New Hammers But Problem With Cut. #19  
Strange, I don't get that kind of cut. Maybe grass is too wet?
I have mine offset and do overlapped cuts in 2 directions, maybe try that?

Strange, I don't get that kind of cut. Maybe grass is too wet?
I have mine offset and do overlapped cuts in 2 directions, maybe try that?
I tried overlapping enough to hit the strip left from the last pass but by doing that I loose almost 2 feet of cut. It still didn't do a great job recutting but more is the issue of loosing so much width for each cut.
I appreciate the suggestion.

Once the rain stops and things dry a bit I am going to take my big JD flail across the stree to my field and do a few passes then a few with the Betstco and see how they compare under the same conditions. May even take my little 917L out and try it.