Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #41  
Any particular reason? Was gonna guess that it was because typically parts are more expensive for Japanese makes, but most of these are probably being sold to scrap dealers.
Many years ago at least 25 I was a welder for a machine shop we built a machine to cut open converters for a guy. He told me it took 25 full size converters to get a Oz of platinum. He broke them open put the contents in barrels and ship them to Europe to get the platinum extracted. He showed me a oz he carried in his wallet it looked like a piece of tin he had flattened with a hammer.. My guess this is why they are being stolen. Not sure what platinum is worth today

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #42  
Friend has a vehicle storage area.
He has been hit multiple times with trucks the first targets due to clearance.
Diesel convertors apparently the highest value due to rare metal contents.
The thieves even abandoned tools often making quick getaways.
With face masks (Covid) and hoodies no number of cameras help.
They even cut security fencing to have easy access.
Often work as a team, cutter and runner.
Then comes lawsuits from storage clients.
What a world we live in.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #43  
If it was me, I'd have just shot him in the crotch while he was under it...

Today, I'd think stealing fuel would be more common place. I put locking caps on all my vehicles a few months ago.
Can't really siphon from modern vehicles. They will just poke a hole in your tank now...

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #44  
Can't really siphon from modern vehicles. They will just poke a hole in your tank now...
Poking a hole in a fuel tank from underneath sounds scary to me. Sawing off a convertor sounds much safer. I wonder what truckers do (locking fuel tank caps?) Trucks hold a lot of diesel and the filler caps are real accessable and diesel is way up there in cost.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #45  
Many years ago at least 25 I was a welder for a machine shop we built a machine to cut open converters for a guy. He told me it took 25 full size converters to get a Oz of platinum. He broke them open put the contents in barrels and ship them to Europe to get the platinum extracted. He showed me a oz he carried in his wallet it looked like a piece of tin he had flattened with a hammer.. My guess this is why they are being stolen. Not sure what platinum is worth today
Platinum often is close to value of gold, sometimes more so. Right now about half...palladium is the one +/- to gold right now...they seem to flip flop from time to time.
1656352037242.png

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #46  
Poking a hole in a fuel tank from underneath sounds scary to me. Sawing off a convertor sounds much safer. I wonder what truckers do (locking fuel tank caps?) Trucks hold a lot of diesel and the filler caps are real accessable and diesel is way up there in cost.
Nope, REAL easy with some special "poker" tools they are making to do this. Remember the old oil cans? Poke and pour? There are ready made "tools" in the "thief industry" to do this quickly. BTW almost ALL modern (last 10+ years or so) are made of plastic. At least the steel ones were a little hard to puncture.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #47  
Ha, any would be thieves of my catalytic converter will have a rude awakening. Mines empty!
Doesn't your state have emissions inspections? I thought most if not all do now. Missing or defective cat=fail.
Sheesh, it's not 1978 anymore, you're not gaining anything performance or fuel economy-wise with a hollowed out cat. It may have worked 40 years ago, but that was then, this is now.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #48  
I now know 12 that have had Catalytic Converters stolen.

It takes less than a minute with cordless tools.

Mostly Japanese vehicles… last night my friends Toyota pickup…

Last week a Prius.

Also reports on high end European makes.

Driveway, street, parking garage, shopping mall… easy targets.

Next to smash and grab it’s the fastest growing auto related crime.

Just one more thing to watch out for and the aftermarket has responded with a skid plate type of protection…
You are right about thief it is high in small town I live , I had my Beaver III stolen this last Wednesday night, it was broke down, they used a trailer and winch and took it. Here where I live in town several years ago someone backed their pickup up to my carport and stole my air compressor, nail guns, cordless DeWalt driver, Ryobi trimmer with attachments,miter saw, and some other things. The other day a woman came to my door wanting 20 for some juice for her baby, then at parking lot at store, woman came up to me wanting 20 dollars to buy herself some insulin, again I declined, I have never seen so many people, young people who are able to work asking for handouts, I believe they need to go ask for employment, both these women were strangers to me.They have no pride in my opinion. I’ll get off my soap box now.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #49  
Doesn't your state have emissions inspections? I thought most if not all do now. Missing or defective cat=fail.
Sheesh, it's not 1978 anymore, you're not gaining anything performance or fuel economy-wise with a hollowed out cat. It may have worked 40 years ago, but that was then, this is now.
No state inspection here, but i imagine messing with the exhaust would mess with the computer.