Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I now know 12 that have had Catalytic Converters stolen.

It takes less than a minute with cordless tools.

Mostly Japanese vehicles… last night my friends Toyota pickup…

Last week a Prius.

Also reports on high end European makes.

Driveway, street, parking garage, shopping mall… easy targets.

Next to smash and grab it’s the fastest growing auto related crime.

Just one more thing to watch out for and the aftermarket has responded with a skid plate type of protection…

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #2  
A sad reality of the current times with all the nice cordless tools available being used for the wrong purpose.

It's been so bad as well here in what used to be a pacific little corner of Europe. Some will even do it in the day light and have one or two guys as backup ready to hurt whoever tries to approach them.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #3  
At least we're trying to do something about it. This takes effect July 1.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #4  
wonder how effective surveillance cams are bringing those thieves to justice in commercial/residential settings.
so would it have to be owners auto comprehensive insurance to replace? are after market converters easily avail for current models, or proprietary? so far so good here, but all my wheels are old.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #5  
So that pretty much means that scrap metal dealers can't accept them anymore? Auto wreckers would stockpile them until their vendor came around to collect them, that should take the tweaker element out of the market.
What would be far more effective would be to have the criminal friendly DA's personally liable for all repairs when one of their clients is out on his 17th PR bond for cutting cats.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #6  
I now know 12 that have had Catalytic Converters stolen.

It takes less than a minute with cordless tools.

Mostly Japanese vehicles…
Any particular reason? Was gonna guess that it was because typically parts are more expensive for Japanese makes, but most of these are probably being sold to scrap dealers.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #7  
Definitely getting sold to for scrap. Probably getting 25-150 dollars for a
convertor that cost $1500-3000 to replace.

Only option is the get hydraulics and drop the frame on the ground whenever you park;)

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #8  
are after market converters easily avail for current models, or proprietary?
Yes. I had to have them replaced on my Ranger when it was about 12 years old, as one of the two somehow broke internally.
Oddly enough, that happened just a few days after I'd had the transmission serviced.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts
The bolt on shield plates effective…

Some CATS are not only expensive but out of stock.

The Toyota this week will cost my friend $250 deductible on a $1200 repair.

Not much on prosecution as property crimes lowest priority.

/ Beware of Catalytic Converter Thefts #10  
Definitely getting sold to for scrap. Probably getting 25-150 dollars for a
convertor that cost $1500-3000 to replace.
Don't kid yourself. I bought a scrap dakota for front end parts to fix mine. Paid $600, fixed my truck, got a almost new set of wheels and tires as well. Sold the catalytic converter and pre-cats for $550 as scrap. Sold some other parts for $300. Need to pull the rear glass for mine then take to scrap for another $200+. Some Cats go for over $1000 as scrap.