Big Cars are killing Americans

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #131  
Lobbyists would never allow it, but the technology is there on the phone already that it knows when you are traveling in the car, so, why not make it so it won't function while traveling? You can't shut the seat belt alarm off, so kinda the same thing, take the option away unless an emergency. ND voted down mandatory seat belts but the Feds insisted. But seat belts and cell phones don't share the $ sign. Like I said, lobbyists.

I do agree tho that trucks today with the silly "leveling kit", or lift kits have their headlight shine way way out too far. I now need to wear those yellow glasses at night because of the intensity.
Having many years experience with legislators, both Federal & State, I can tell you that the problem is not so much the lobbyists as it is the legislators themselves. Do you think they would ban the use of cell phones in vehicles when they spend much of THEIR time talking on the phone while driving-don't think so. Same with DWI-We could eliminate it completely if the punishment was 12 months flat jail time, but because law makers drink and drive that ain't going to happen.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #132  
Wish a link to the article was provided, so I could read it first hand, since the tag line for the post indicates cars and the body indicate pickup trucks.

I agree that there really needs to be a safety bumper extension so that the bottom of the bumper is no more than "x" inches off of the ground - like trailers on semi-rigs have to do today.

Large cars, on the other hand, I feel save lives. The extra crush area provided in a larger car provides a much larger volume for bad things to happen, and the occupants not come into contact with a hard unprotected surface. Plus most modern large cars have a virtual 360 degree view of their surrounds, some even equipped with active accident avoidance systems.

So agree on big / raised pickup trucks, but not with big cars.
The OP provided it, but apparently there was something nefarious at the end which caused it to be removed. I had started to read it at the source before it was posted here, but quickly decided it was too one sided to finish.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #133  
…increased size of the pickup over the years to the now monstrous has posed safety hazards for pedestrians. add all the small vehicles now on public roads (i hate scooters, etc) only increases risk.

Sounds to me like not being in a big car is what’s killing them…;)

/ Big Cars are killing Americans
The OP provided it, but apparently there was something nefarious at the end which caused it to be removed. I had started to read it at the source before it was posted here, but quickly decided it was too one sided to finish.
yes, i now concede that the link was a mistake on my part. i should only have stated my opinion without the following link. mistake. but had the observation long before i ran across the article. still do

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #135  
My take is we have too many cars, we need better public transportation. I read where the UK is pushing this also.
Another rural county speaking!! When will public transportation start taking round bales or cattle?

Since this thread went WAY downhill sometime back, why not just limit pickups & larger vehicles, 4 wheel drive, etc to rural area residents only? Don't allow them big city folk to buy them (they don't know how to drive anyway) besides, they can take public transportation to get plywood, etc. 😉🙃🙂

True story! Two or so weeks ago my in-laws moved closer to us. The moving van company they used was from CA. It was misting a little bit and the driver (also from CA) didn't want to bring his 53 footer down the (paved) road, it is narrow, winding and mostly unmarked/unlined. He said he was afraid he would fall off into the ditch because it didn't have shoulders. One of his helpers came by their house and told us they were going to have to get some transfer trucks (u-haul type). About that same time, a chicken truck (about 50') and a 53' chicken feed truck passed the house. Both the helper & I just shrugged our shoulders. The helper finally convinced the truck driver he could make it - but he brought a transfer truck anyway- just in case..

Right across from the folks driveway is another road so it would be very easy for him to back in. That road however, was a county maintained gravel road. The driver, who proclaimed when he got there he had been driving with that company for 25 years, absolutely refused to get his tires on the gravel road for fear he would get stuck. So he all but blocked the road so they could unload.

More stories like this 'round here of big city truckers deciding to start driving chicken trucks or feed trucks that have a hard time not getting stuck when they have to show up @ 0200-0300 to drop off feed or pick up chickens.

I guess once a big city driver, always a big city cruiser.. 🤷 🙂🙃😉

Last edited:
   / Big Cars are killing Americans #137  
Since this thread went WAY downhill sometime back, why not just limit pickups & larger vehicles, 4 where drive, etc to rural area residents only? Don't allow them big city folk to buy them (they don't know how to drive anyway) besides, they can take public transportation to get plywood, etc. 😉🙃🙂
Some people feel that's the way that it should be. A site I belonged to years ago had a group of people who felt the need to tell others what they should and shouldn't drive.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #138  
Some people feel that's the way that it should be. A site I belonged to years ago had a group of people who felt the need to tell others what they should and shouldn't drive.
Like here, except this thread is about driving on public roads. We usually get schooled on what to drive on our own land.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #139  
i know many here will not agree with this article, but just to stir the pot.... inho increased size of the pickup over the years to the now monstrous has posed safety hazards for pedestrians. add all the small vehicles now on public roads (i hate scooters, etc) only increases risk.
we have a voracious appetite for power/size/creature comfort, which is ok in iteslf. but there are blind spots on these larger trucks, & the increased power & creature comfort sometimes makes us unaware of our surroundings...add our thirst for social media while driving & it makes a recipe for disaster

(this comment is not intended for those who depend on larger pickups for their trade, etc. just for the mall cruisers in crowded areas)
your thoughts? the link should work
Some good points but I think your wrong in saying its due to larger vehicles. I have seen elderly and children run over far too often by compact cars...much more so than large SUVs and cars.
Technology can help, we have all kinds of sensors and cameras now. Some of the bigger pickup trucks and SUVs have at least seven cameras and even more sensors....will even hit the brakes for you. Thats what we need...more technology. May not be 100% but at least every single vehicle no matter how big or small can be fitted with them

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #140  
I arrived home this PM to find a small car almost in my house.
Driver was lost and took the wrong driveway, not the first time as they rely on GPS to visit neighbors.
(once had an uninvited 'guest' @ 2:00 AM!)
Naturally she tore up my drive trying to get out.
I fired up my CUT and pushed her out real easy, problem she kept spinning and messed up my base down to blue ice. Now I'll have to sand.
Wife says next time give them the CAA towing # and let them wait in the car.
I have a 'PRIVATE' sign but guess some people can't read.