Big Cars are killing Americans

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #332  
The last time prices of fuel got this high or maybe a little higher, more efficient vehicles started selling and the sales of RV's went down substantially. This area is one of the biggest RV manufacturing locations. I know several people that work in RV manufacturing and they say it is still booming.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #333  
bull, one little volcano does more then trucks and tractors.
People just don't understand. Your exactly right, plus, what powers the plants that make electric vehicles? Just sayin

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #334  
We know that burning fossil fuels is a part of the reason for climate change, the proportion of man vs nature is not precisely known, but it's not none. The effect that we can each have on reducing climate change is minuscule, but it is not none. Internal combustion engines will be with us for a long time to come, as in some applications there is no practical alternative - yet. But, the move to reduce "lifestyle only" emissions, smaller more efficient personal vehicles, and electric vehicles where they are practical will help, at least a minuscule amount, and it will redirect society's priorities over time.

I come from aviation, we love big snarky piston engines. But, that time has passed. I know that needless consumption of fuel harms the climate, and I know that the climate is changing because it is being harmed. I see reports if worsening wild fires, rain storms, and I understand the dangers of sea level rise for some population groups. Where I live, those effects are minor on me, but not so for friends, they're suffering!

So, if I need to carry six people, and haul 10,000 pounds all the time, I'll buy a big pick up truck with those capabilities - it's justified. But, I don't. So I choose a small turbo diesel car, a small diesel tractor, ride my bike it it's practical, and otherwise don't burn fuel if I don't need to! To be honest, I still own a plane, which burns 8 gallons on hour, and I hardly use it. I enjoy my JD tractor, and excavator, which burn 2 gallons a day much more! It'll be a long time before piston engines are gone, but needlessly big should be a thing of the past....

BUT, and it’s a big BUT, what will be used to charge the EVs to replace the ICEVs?
Of course it will be increased emissions from power plants!

Look, there’s NO FREE LUNCH. Even people who bow at the altar of EVs routinely admit they are about the same emissions as a 30-35MPG car, so why not just mandate 30-35MPG ICEVs and call it a day?
That way emissions is reduced to what THEY say is the equivalent of EVs and everyone can drive more efficient, less polluting cars AND we don’t have to spend trillions more to change over to an EV system that, quite frankly, we can’t prove will even work long term AND cost trillions we DONT HAVE.

It would cost less to make ICEVs more efficient and trap more of their emissions of ICEVs than convert to EVs because the power grid won’t have to create more emissions and taxes won’t sharply increase to fund all the infrastructure.

Last edited:
   / Big Cars are killing Americans #335  
Again. All done by an operator. The only deaths caused by a physical car would be a self driving car, like a Tesla. Your missing the point. Small or large, operators behind vehicles kill people
The point is taller vehicles with blunt front ends not only block the driver's view of pedestrians, they inflict more blunt force trauma on human bodies. That's the entire point.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #336  
The last time prices of fuel got this high or maybe a little higher, more efficient vehicles started selling and the sales of RV's went down substantially. This area is one of the biggest RV manufacturing locations. I know several people that work in RV manufacturing and they say it is still booming.
Yes, the RV industry is booming right now. It's always been a good indicator of the state of the economy. That would indicate the economy isn't all that bad right now.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #337  
what will be used to charge the EVs to replace the ICEVs? Of course it will be increased emissions from power plants!

Solar, wind, hydro electric, and nuclear, if needed please....

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #338  
The point is taller vehicles with blunt front ends not only block the driver's view of pedestrians, they inflict more blunt force trauma on human bodies. That's the entire point.
Again, your missing the point. Sure taller vehicles are more difficult to see, but we have better safety measures for getting across the street. New vehicles now will stop when there is a pedestrian. Again though, the vehicle isn't killing the person. The operator is. As i said earlier, tiny or huge car is irrelavent, operator skill and awareness of surroundings is critical.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #339  
BUT, and it’s a big BUT, what will be used to charge the EVs to replace the ICEVs?
Of course it will be increased emissions from power plants!

Look, there’s NO FREE LUNCH. Even people who bow at the altar of EVs routinely admit they are about the same emissions as a 30-35MPG car, so why not just mandate 30-35MPG ICEVs and call it a day?
That way emissions is reduced to what THEY say is the equivalent of EVs and everyone can drive more efficient, less polluting cars AND we don’t have to spend trillions more to change over to an EV system that, quite frankly, we can’t prove will even work long term!

It would cost less to make ICEVs more efficient and trap more of their emissions of ICEVs than convert to EVs because the power grid won’t have to create more emissions and taxes won’t sharply increase to fund all the infrastructure.
Plus anytime you convert one source of energy to another you have a loss of BTU potential.

Converting oil to diesel or gas wastes BTU potential.
Converting natural gas to electricity wastes BTU potential.
Converting corn to alcohol wastes BTU potential.
Converting any fuel to generate electricity is a waste.
Hydroelectric, solar, wind and nuclear are pretty efficient.
Burning natural gas directly in a vehicle is about as efficient as it would ever get for internal combustion engines.
And burning corn in corn burners to heat houses is well into the 90% efficiencies.

There's gonna come a time when burning things to generate energy to perform work is going to become rarer and rarer.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #340  
Solar, wind, hydro electric, and nuclear, if needed please....
Yeah...LOL. they say green energy is reliable. Take a look at what happened in texas and tell me what would happen if this happens to manufacturing plants. Oh No, the wind stopped blowing! Oh no, the sun isn't shining. You do know how many acres solar farms take up right? So much land has to be cleared, and this destroys habitats for animals and it increases carbon emmisions. Wind farms-Take up a lot of land and kill birds, same point with the solar