Big goosenecks

/ Big goosenecks #21  
Kaufman trailers is a good bang for the buck. I believe they have a 12k axle option.k

I will 2nd this opinion. It's not in the same class of equipment you folks are talking about but the 10k 20+2' bumper pull I have has treated me well thus far. It's not the best but rather it's been solid value.

One cavet, I bought the deluxe package with sealed wiring, leds and 16" OC cross member spacing. There have been valid concerns raised on this forum about Kaufman quality that might, I'm not sure, be attributable to differences between their standard and deluxe lines. Not trying to start an argument, just food for thought.

/ Big goosenecks #22  
Did your GN come with 16.5"? Mine came with 16" wheels. 7.5 x 16 seems to equate to 235/85 16.

/ Big goosenecks #23  
www.hulltrailers.com/
One of the original owners of H & H trailers.
He deals direct with public and will build you exactly what you want.

/ Big goosenecks #24  
I think, op, that you should reconsider the tongue weight for a variety of reasons. Braking being the main one.

Anyways, have you considered hydraulic disc brakes on the trailer? I love the ones we have on our trailer, they are very smooth and strong.

Best advice I can give is to layout a spreadsheet with all the trailer specs to compare them fairly. I would not limit my options to "in stock" trailers. Order the trailer you need setup the way YOU want.

/ Big goosenecks
I think, op, that you should reconsider the tongue weight for a variety of reasons. Braking being the main one.

What specifically do you mean? Lets say the machine weighs 17k and the trailer weighs 6.5k. That is 23,500lb. 15% of that on the pin would be 3,525 lb on the truck and 19,975 on the trailer. Are you saying I should have more or less tongue weight?

/ Big goosenecks #26  
I am in the market for a big gooseneck. Probably a 20'+5' dove tail with dual 12,000lb axles. I will be hauling a machine that will weigh 16-17k all over the place as well as possible short moves of a 17-18k backhoe.

It seems big Tex is the only manufacturer I can find that keeps 12k axle equipped trailers in stock. All the others have dual 10k axles but they rate their trailers at 25k saying part of the load is transferred to the truck which is true but if the trailer weighs 6-7k and you add 16-18k that would be be up to 5k pin load which sure seems like a lot.

I figure the 12k axles would let me put most the weight on the trailer and only 3k or so on the truck?

Anyone have experience with trailers of this size?

I have a Diamond C 32' tandem dually with 12k axles, hydraulic disc brakes and power dove and power jacks. That is my personal trailer, and I doubt I have had much over 20k lbs on the tandems, but it is reassuring to me to have the larger axles. I can haul about 18,500 on the deck if balanced properly. We are a Diamond C dealer. Having said that, we typically only stock the goosenecks in electric brakes and 10k axles. We special order the 12k axle trailers. But I have been thinking we perhaps should stock a 12k axle trailer, but if so, what length? Electric or hydraulic brakes? Power dove or ramps? Black, grey, red, blue?

On a typical 16' car trailer, there just are not that many options. We order stacks of them, all black, all LED lights...not many more decisions. But when you get to a $12k-$20k loaded up gooseneck, there is a plethora of options and typically a more "sophisticated" trailer customer. It is tough to know what to stock. If you have the time, order up exactly what you want. Extra underbody toolboxes, winch mount...no problem. I also went with 14-ply tires on mine, it is a lot more tire than the 10-plys.

/ Big goosenecks #27  
As I have gotten older the "power" options on equipment have increased my interest. Wish I would have ordered power jacks on my trailer.

/ Big goosenecks #28  
As I have gotten older the "power" options on equipment have increased my interest. Wish I would have ordered power jacks on my trailer.

I agree. 6 seconds pushing on the little remote fob and the jacks are down and the goose is clear of the ball. If you already have the hydraulic power unit for a power dove, the optional jacks aren't too expensive.

/ Big goosenecks #29  
What specifically do you mean? Lets say the machine weighs 17k and the trailer weighs 6.5k. That is 23,500lb. 15% of that on the pin would be 3,525 lb on the truck and 19,975 on the trailer. Are you saying I should have more or less tongue weight?
I'm saying more weight. You want 20% for sure on the ball. Think about it this way, the more weight you have on the trucks axle, the more potential braking you have on that axle. N*Fs. You don't have much control over the static friction but you can increase the normalforce. Planting the drive tires increases traction and braking on that axle. It also helps to keep that axle from being pushed around by the trailer in a corner/hard braking aka jack knifing.