Biggest group of idiot gun owners that ever lived

/ Biggest group of idiot gun owners that ever lived #191  
It's not only that, but that some only look for the goor OR bad in where we are at as a socitey.

I can assure you, I'm a half empty glass kind of guy, and I try to plan for worst case scenario, so if it doesn't play out like I planned, I'm ahead of the game.

There is no more bad, evil, greediness or laziness in todays man than in men 100, 200 or 1,000 years ago IMO, but if you look at cities today, people think the world is going to HE double toothpicks. Thing is, BAD news make better news on average than good news.

Do I think every LEO is bad or dishonest? Heck no. Thing is, good cops doing good deeds don't make news.

Do we read about kids being killed in the coal mines? I came across one of my grandfather's in a department of mines of Pennsylvania report on how he was injured. Swear to God, the mines were losing at least a couple of people PER week on accidental work deaths let alone serious injuries. Do we learn about that in our own countries history?

See below. This is fatalities by category during the early 1900's

View attachment 705138
View attachment 705139
In some aspects America is getting soft. Back in the old days, you could lose 100 workers a year easily in the mines IN ONE AREA by dumb accidents, and no one would care. Now, have someone killed on the jobsite, and dang it, people are going to look to see if the accident could of been avoided and perhaps even write regulations that the buisness MUST follow.

Go figure...

For the record, my dad worked in the family bootlegging mine when he was underage (heat for the house only). I understand why unions were formed, but neither my father or I could stand to work for them LOL
Industrial Accident are investigated by OSHA. OSHA Investigations are something one does not want to be involved in.

Without safety rules and regulations those nasty Governmental intrusions that some people hate and despise, the same would be happening with 10-20 times more severity today.

Look at Love Canal.

Colorado Gold King Mines Disaster.

/ Biggest group of idiot gun owners that ever lived #192  

The Ludlow Massacre was a mass killing perpetrated by anti-striker militia during the Colorado Coalfield War. Soldiers from the Colorado National Guard and private guards employed by Colorado Fuel and Iron Company (CF&I) attacked a tent colony of roughly 1,200 striking coal miners and their families in Ludlow, Colorado, on April 20, 1914. Approximately 21 people, including miners' wives and children, were killed. John D. Rockefeller, Jr., a part-owner of CF&I who had recently appeared before a United States congressional hearing on the strikes, was widely blamed for having orchestrated the massacre.

From the strike's beginning in September 1913 to intervention by federal soldiers under President Woodrow Wilson's orders on April 29, 1914, an estimated 69 to 199 people were killed during the strike. Historian Thomas G. Andrews has called it the "deadliest strike in the history of the United States."

Bruce

/ Biggest group of idiot gun owners that ever lived

The Ludlow Massacre was a mass killing perpetrated by anti-striker militia during the Colorado Coalfield War. Soldiers from the Colorado National Guard and private guards employed by Colorado Fuel and Iron Company (CF&I) attacked a tent colony of roughly 1,200 striking coal miners and their families in Ludlow, Colorado, on April 20, 1914. Approximately 21 people, including miners' wives and children, were killed. John D. Rockefeller, Jr., a part-owner of CF&I who had recently appeared before a United States congressional hearing on the strikes, was widely blamed for having orchestrated the massacre.

From the strike's beginning in September 1913 to intervention by federal soldiers under President Woodrow Wilson's orders on April 29, 1914, an estimated 69 to 199 people were killed during the strike. Historian Thomas G. Andrews has called it the "deadliest strike in the history of the United States."

Bruce
Thanks for posting. Found it interesting it happened the day after some families observed Orthodox Easter. Interesting that I didn't think any Slavs made it that far out west to work in the mines.

/ Biggest group of idiot gun owners that ever lived #194  
Maybe if your lucky enough to have settled in a place not too close to a city life is almost the same as when you were a kid. I am 57. As a kid my dad thought nothing of taking us to down town Wilkes- Barre or Scranton or Hazleton in north east PA. to go shopping. Today forget it. The cities have gone to pot. Philadelphia has over run what used to be Williamsport. NYC has run north east Pennsylvanias towns including the touristy pocono mountains into the ground. Locals like me then look to run and hide in places like Tennessee which then pushes those prices up so those locals can’t compete with those of us trying to escape the city take over. Makes all sad and mad.
I have a very good friend that lives in Hazelton, you couldn't blast him or his family out of there; except maybe in the winter... I was just there about a month ago, definitely not where I would want to live.

Maybe if your lucky enough to have settled in a place not too close to a city life is almost the same as when you were a kid. I am 57. As a kid my dad thought nothing of taking us to down town Wilkes- Barre or Scranton or Hazleton in north east PA. to go shopping. Today forget it. The cities have gone to pot. Philadelphia has over run what used to be Williamsport. NYC has run north east Pennsylvanias towns including the touristy pocono mountains into the ground. Locals like me then look to run and hide in places like Tennessee which then pushes those prices up so those locals can’t compete with those of us trying to escape the city take over. Makes all sad and mad.
I think what you described is happening all over in our country in some shape or form.

Population growth...

I consider my "hometown" about an hour south of you in Pa, in Schuylkill county.

My understanding is Reading has gone to pot, and Allentown / Bethlehem? Forget it (couple of years ago when I flew into Allentown to drive my dad back home with me, I didn't even recognize what happened to I-78 with all the growth, and I use to work in Bethlehem decades previously).

When I use to go home to visit my dad, I couldn't get over all the ATV's being brought in on trailers on the weekends. My local gun range as a kid I was told has been overrun with people driving as far as Jersey to go there (couldn't believe it as it's not really a "legitimate" gun range, just a place to shoot).

Apologies, off topic ;)

I have a very good friend that lives in Hazelton, you couldn't blast him or his family out of there; except maybe in the winter... I was just there about a month ago, definitely not where I would want to live.
Growing up an air force brat, the one trait I'm thankful I inherited from my parents is not having the fear to move across the united states and live in a different area.

I have multiple cousins that were born and will die in the same family "town" (some still owning the same home their parents owned).

Likewise, people being people, there are people in the county I live in now in NC that have never left the state their entire lives.

When I first moved to NC long time ago, remember sitting at a BBQ joint and overhearing some kids behind me complaining about the local "hick" county they're living in (where I had just moved to with my new wife, who moved down from Vermont) and they couldn't wait to graduate high school and move out of the county. They sounded just like me when I was 17 LOL

As I've mentioned before, whatever floats your boat. Nothing wrong with loving where you were raised and not wanting to move.

I found it ironic that I couldn't wait to go home and visit my dad and come back to "my old stomping grounds" which I considered "home", but after 3 days there, I was dying to leave. Go figure.

BTW, if you ever go back up to Hazleton, up 81, take 61 north (1/2 hour south of Hazleton) to Frackville and go up to Shenandoah (only about 15 minutes off I-81) for a "interesting town" to drive through LOL (they do however have some great Kielbasy and ethnic food shops in Frackville and Shenandoah).

/ Biggest group of idiot gun owners that ever lived #197  
I do disagree with your comment. Just that we know more and more about what is going on across the country, for better or worse.

In the early 1900's, there were a lot of coal miners killed by lawmen (paid for by the owners of the coal mines) because they wanted to unionize to make more money for putting their lives on the line. Reality is, no one really knew about it.
i think that is the only time our govt actually bombed it's own citizens....or maybe the first time

i think that is the only time our govt actually bombed it's own citizens....or maybe the first time
I thought there was a lot of crap going on in Pa over coal miners, it seemed worse in WV.

If you think about what law enforcement and the government did to it's own citizens just trying to make a decent wage for putting their lives on the line in horrible working conditions, I'm not certain how you can feel that we're going to heck in a handbag in todays times.

Both sets of my grandfathers didn't make it past their 50's due to working in the mines. My one grandmother remarried a second time to another coal miner, and he got killed due to a lumber accident for the mine (and that mans first wife died due to an infection caused by a tooth extraction).

There is a lot of stuff in American history we don't teach about in schools ;)

Steppi mentioned Hazleton Pa.

I'm not a fan of unions, but when you realize what the working conditions were for the average laborer (including children) were back then, I can understand why they formed.

Problem is, people being people, power, greed and money know no differences in most people no matter where they came from in life.

Last edited:
   / Biggest group of idiot gun owners that ever lived #199  
I think what you described is happening all over in our country in some shape or form.

Population growth...

I consider my "hometown" about an hour south of you in Pa, in Schuylkill county.

My understanding is Reading has gone to pot, and Allentown / Bethlehem? Forget it (couple of years ago when I flew into Allentown to drive my dad back home with me, I didn't even recognize what happened to I-78 with all the growth, and I use to work in Bethlehem decades previously).

When I use to go home to visit my dad, I couldn't get over all the ATV's being brought in on trailers on the weekends. My local gun range as a kid I was told has been overrun with people driving as far as Jersey to go there (couldn't believe it as it's not really a "legitimate" gun range, just a place to shoot).

Apologies, off topic ;)
Reading is toast. I live a little over an hour away. My wife’s best friend works at Reading Hospital and it is over run with poor and immigrants using the ER as a doctors office. The city itself can be very dangerous. Allentown and Bethlehem are rotted out with most all their industrial base (Bethlehem Steel, Mack Trucks, etc.) mostly gone. My daughter was interested in attending Lehigh University. On the campus tour, they bragged about the view of the former Bethlehem Steel site and how they “preserved the 4 main blast furnaces” and turned the site into an outdoor concert area.….wow wonderful.
I basically live 2 miles north of Wilmington, DE which has weekly drug and gang murders. North Wilmington is beautiful, drive 4 miles into the city and it’s another story.
Philly is crazy. if it was safe, I would actually suggest taking a ride through North Philly just to see the carnage. Streets literally have what looks like bomb craters in them, collapsed buildings, drugs sold right next to your car, gun shots going off. In the middle of it all is Temple University. They have the 4th largest police force in Pennsylvania, just to keep the campus safe.

Last edited:
   / Biggest group of idiot gun owners that ever lived #200