Bio diesel in 1986 Ford 1910

/ Bio diesel in 1986 Ford 1910 #1  

Brady D

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910, Case farmall 95, John Deere 317g
If I were to use biodiesel in my tractor what are the pros/cons

/ Bio diesel in 1986 Ford 1910 #2  
Depending on where you get it price could be a real pro. The moisture included in it could be a con, though. I think my Kubota recommends no more than ten percent biodiesel but I'm not sure why.

/ Bio diesel in 1986 Ford 1910 #4  
I know people who have hauled their junk to the scrap yard because the bulk plant sold them biodiesel and didnt tell them. Save that bio and start brush fires or run heaters with. Old tractors with low injection pressures will run it. New things have 24,000 psi so it won't go long. Old things had 800- 1200 psi. I know, it gives everybody tingly good feelings to use it.

/ Bio diesel in 1986 Ford 1910 #5  
If u let the machine sit.. the bio turns to sludge and coats everything in the fuel system and sticks it..
The .04cents u saved a gallon at the pump will cost u around $1000.00 getting the fuel system cleaned..
AND.. THATS with YOU doing the labor...
Best advice::
..steer clear if u can..
..Don’t let it sit in the tank.
..IF u have to use it, get an additive that helps disperse water..& again, DONT LET IT SIT..

/ Bio diesel in 1986 Ford 1910 #6  
Rubber fuel lines leak, gels up faster in the winter, more bio growth, around here it costs more that straight diesel. Tried it, had problems, went back to reg. diesel.

The only pro is that it might make you feel a little 'greener', but I'm not sure that it's really true. Might be a 'false positive' like so many other 'green' ideas.

/ Bio diesel in 1986 Ford 1910
Depending on where you get it price could be a real pro. The moisture included in it could be a con, though. I think my Kubota recommends no more than ten percent biodiesel but I'm not sure why.
I’m pretty sure the rating is because biodiesel will eat through rubber hoses most newer vehicles have pretty low ratings

/ Bio diesel in 1986 Ford 1910
Rubber fuel lines leak, gels up faster in the winter, more bio growth, around here it costs more that straight diesel. Tried it, had problems, went back to reg. diesel.

The only pro is that it might make you feel a little 'greener', but I'm not sure that it's really true. Might be a 'false positive' like so many other 'green' ideas.
I forgot all about how it gels up