Birds in the Barn

/ Birds in the Barn #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
I had an open front barn built this year. I knew birds would become a problem and as I was working out there yesterday some small ones were investigating the area. No nests yet but I know that is the next step and then comes the poop all over everything.

Do those fake owls work to detract birds from nesting? Do I have to enclose the front with doors or plastic strips?

Any better ideas?

/ Birds in the Barn #2  
Fake owls no work. Barn doors work nize. Shotgun more fun. Shot shell in handgun better. The word gets around from any survivors. Leave at least one. Starlings are the worst. Even the cat gave up.

/ Birds in the Barn #4  
Several years ago here on TBN I saw a member's pics in his open machine shed. He put in a ceiling made out of chicken wire. No where for them to roost or build above his equipment. Not sure what chicken wire costs so can't comment on that.

/ Birds in the Barn
I have barn cats. They seem to keep the mice out but the building is a high ceiling metal frame.

Most of my problem birds are small enough to get through chicken wire.

Going to try an owl but I see enclosed front in my future.

/ Birds in the Barn #6  
My machine shed has sliding doors. Birds go under them. So far no nests. Maybe it's too hard to carry material under the doors?

/ Birds in the Barn #7  
Several years ago here on TBN I saw a member's pics in his open machine shed. He put in a ceiling made out of chicken wire. No where for them to roost or build above his equipment. Not sure what chicken wire costs so can't comment on that.
Yep...I think that's the solution. The access denial approach. The birds are of course looking for nesting areas they like in the upper rafters. Morton Building uses the Amish method, which is simply placing 2×4 boards, and inserting (not nailing) them into any openings the birds could want to use. With access denied, birds fly in and fly out but do not nest. I can see chicken wire working too.

/ Birds in the Barn #8  
Fake owls no work. Barn doors work nize. Shotgun more fun. Shot shell in handgun better. The word gets around from any survivors. Leave at least one. Starlings are the worst. Even the cat gave up.
I tried 'curtains' of bird netting (AKA wasted) and starlings just flew around them, love to pry into and nest in soffits anyway. Few others ever appear in the barn. Doors are 14' tall and don't shut perfectly square when closed. They find a way in.

.410 HG is single shot (Super Comanche) & has a was-spin-stopper muzzle device that must be removed for .45 Colt. Great patterns to 20 yds, esp vs from a rifled-bore revo. .22 cal PCP airguns are great for culling feeding starlings that love the ants around here.

Had an attached carport at my last place. Robins nested atop fence posts in the yard while the only thing under that roof would be barn swallows. I'd watch 'em out the kitchen window when doing my dishes.

/ Birds in the Barn #9  
I don't worry about them. Birds need homes too. Figure they might even help with controlling various bugs.

/ Birds in the Barn #10