BL 2660 Snowblower

/ BL 2660 Snowblower #1  

jbrumberg

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29DA, John Deere D130
To All:

I have the possibility of picking up an operational BL 2660 two stage snowblower in excellent shape for a price that is hard to walk away from (like free for service-in-kind barter :D. "She Who Must Be Obeyed" :eek: prefers hard cash for my services regardless of how this may impact on our taxes.). The reason for the possible score is how the owner's two stage clutch with the PTO engaged on his tractor (Yanmar) did not meet his expectations. I believe that I have sufficient power (29/23+ PTO HP) to handle this attachment. I posted an inquiry on this Forum quite some time ago without a response. Since you "Orange Guys" breed like rabbits on TBN I am hoping that with the increased readership size someone out there in TBN land who has any information on this size/style attachment will help me with providing the additonal information to help the "discussion" in addition to the required grovelling and kowtowing to expidite this potential acquisition :cool:. Jay

/ BL 2660 Snowblower #2  
Jay, I am not sure of the model BL 2660, but I do know of a B-2660 / 3pt hitch, 540 two stage blower. I am sure you have plenty of power to operate the blower. I have a Woods SS-60, which is similar to the 2660. I can't say it blows snow 50 to 60 feet, but it will certainly move snow 20 to 40 feet away. I find being in low range the speed is really slow and not difficult to continue traveling as you blow the snow away.

One thing that is different on the 2660 compared to my SS-60 is the auger on the Kubota is driven from the center point of the blower and is a split drive auger. On the woods it is chain driven from the end and a single auger shaft.

The Kubota might be a better design (?) I am only comparing this to my setup where this spring I ended up breaking the chain and sprocket gear. I hit a large rock and would expect the shear bolt to let go and no other damage. Well the shear bolt broke, but so did the sprocket gear and the chain.

If you can get it for a good price I am sure you will enjoy it next winter. You will still have snow banks to deal with, but they will be 20 to 40 feet away.

I see used B-2660 going for anywhere from 1200 to 2000 dollars.

Regards, Wayne

/ BL 2660 Snowblower #3  
Jay,
I am not familure with the bl 2660 either. If it is the way that Wayne describes it. I have one that is simular. Mine is a ford 714 I think. On mine the auger is driven by a gear box that is connected to the shaft that drives the impeller. The impeller is driven by the pto shaft. I hope you can follow me, if I had a picture i would post it.(This is all clearer in my head than how I can describe it.) Any how, It did not perform the way I was expecting. I found that it only throws the snow about ten feet, no matter what type of snow. This is an older unit, about 20 years old. What iI think the problem is, is the impeller does not turn as fast as the ones today. Because the impeller is driven directly from the pto shaft, the fastest that it is going to spin is 540rpm. I believe that the newer ones spin faster than that, wich makes the snow go further. The blower works alright but I am keeping an eye out for a good deal to replace it. Again I do not know if this is the same as the one you are looking at. If it is, it may not be the tractor it is hooked to, but just the way the blower works. I hope this helps. Dan

/ BL 2660 Snowblower
WayneB and DWW68:

Thank you for your responses :D. This information has been useful from both a technical/mechanical as well as a financial perspective. Now to take on the "Comptroller" :eek:. My elbows and knees are getting so sore :rolleyes:. Jay

/ BL 2660 Snowblower #6  
amigauser said:

Wow Norm, thanks for posting that! How little I know about Kubota implements! That BL2660 looks just like my Woods SS-60 and the drive chain is certainly the same.

The shut adjustment is different. On my Woods there is a flat iron piece with multiple holes and you adjust it to the height you desire. The rod that rotates the shut is lighter than mine also.

I see that this ended at $860 and I paid $800 for mine last year. It had been used but taken care of so I thought it was an okay deal.

Wayne

Attachments

• side view with blower.JPG
    side view with blower.JPG
    958.4 KB · Views: 641
  • backview of blower.JPG
    backview of blower.JPG
    773 KB · Views: 705