Bob_Bainbridge, How does your CC XT3 GSX cut?

/ Bob_Bainbridge, How does your CC XT3 GSX cut? #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
I saw a post where you say that you also have this machine. Mine is with the 54" fabricated deck, and I am very much not impressed.

My nearly 700 hour old Craftsman (Husqvarna) with a 54" stamped deck mows at a much higher level of quality.

It seems like the grass under the Cub gets blown downward and not sucked upright... The stamped Craftsman deck leaves a military level flat top crew cut, nearly perfection in all grass types.

I sharpen and balance the blades on the 2 mowers every 8 - 10 hours, so both are maintained the same. On thick heavy pasture grass the Cub mows equal to the Craftsman, but around the house where there is fine bladed grass the craftsman really shines while my Cub Cadet really disappoints. I have to double mow in 2 directions with the Cub to match the cut quality of the Craftsman. That really makes me tight!

So share with me your feelings on the Cub XT3 GSX.

Attachments

• IMG_20180606_190121751.jpeg
    IMG_20180606_190121751.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 378
  • The old Beast.jpg
    The old Beast.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 390
   / Bob_Bainbridge, How does your CC XT3 GSX cut? #2  
I was skeptical when I bought it because my previous Cub 3235 had the 54 inch fabricated "ground following" deck which did a pretty good job of striping. The GSX has a suspended deck but I've been more than happy with the cut. Maybe I'm not as critical as you because of the quality of my yard. I mow 1 acre which has a lot of tree roots in the rear section and gets very wet. IT's under an inch of water right now from the weekend rains. I also cut it short with a setting of 3. When it gets too long and leaves clumps I mow it at the 3 setting and then attach the triple bagger and go back over it with a setting of 5. This picks up most of the loose grass but doesn't overwhelm me too much grass for my limited dumping area. I have 140 hours un 3 seasons and have not cleaned the deck or sharpened the blades yet.
Bob B.

/ Bob_Bainbridge, How does your CC XT3 GSX cut? #3  
I'm about to pull the trigger on a GSX. We have 1.5 acres of Florida weeds. Hoping the 54" deck is better for us.

/ Bob_Bainbridge, How does your CC XT3 GSX cut?
I'm about to pull the trigger on a GSX. We have 1.5 acres of Florida weeds. Hoping the 54" deck is better for us.
In the flat lands of Florida, it's likely a great and fine machine that you will absolutely love. I would suggest getting the stamped deck, the airflow of the fabricated deck does not vacuum grass upwards nearly as well as a clean stamped deck.

My biggest gripe with the XT3 is the weak transmission compared to the Hydro Gear G730 in my Husqvarna/Craftsman that you see my wife using. That thing is much stronger on steep hills, and all I have is hills I'm planning to sell this thing this spring and go buy a Husqvarna with a Tuff Torq K66 and Kawasaki engine. I don't care how much money I lose, I just want this lame duck CC out of my life.

/ Bob_Bainbridge, How does your CC XT3 GSX cut? #5  
Hmm. I have a 42" Husky with a Kawa twin. The reason I'm going away from them is that frame cracking issue.

/ Bob_Bainbridge, How does your CC XT3 GSX cut? #6  
In the flat lands of Florida, it's likely a great and fine machine that you will absolutely love. I would suggest getting the stamped deck, the airflow of the fabricated deck does not vacuum grass upwards nearly as well as a clean stamped deck.

My biggest gripe with the XT3 is the weak transmission compared to the Hydro Gear G730 in my Husqvarna/Craftsman that you see my wife using. That thing is much stronger on steep hills, and all I have is hills I'm planning to sell this thing this spring and go buy a Husqvarna with a Tuff Torq K66 and Kawasaki engine. I don't care how much money I lose, I just want this lame duck CC out of my life.

I guess different people have different expectations. If you sharpen your blades every 8-10 hours you obviously are more particular about your lawn than I am. I haven't sharpened my blades yet after almost 4 seasons of mowing. I will probably just replace them with new ones. My 1 acre is very wet at times in the rear section and also very rough with tree roots. My 44 inch stamped steel deck clogged and had to be cleaned 2-3 times annually. I also had 2 decks rust through in 26 years of service. My 2004 3235 with 54 inch stamped steel deck had baffles underneath which had to be replaced once after contacting a tree root. I also had to remove it annually to clean underneath. This was not a fun job for an 80-year-old since it weighed 260 pounds and had a driveshaft that had to be disconnected/connected and u-joints greased. I have not yet cleaned my 54 inch fabricated deck since new. I have the triple bagger but do use it all the time.

Bob B.

/ Bob_Bainbridge, How does your CC XT3 GSX cut? #7  
Mowing what passes for a lawn in Florida mean s sucking up sand. The sand dull the blades, etc.
I have to replace or resharpen at least once a season.

/ Bob_Bainbridge, How does your CC XT3 GSX cut?
Chuck,

The frame material on the CC XT3 is beastly compared to my Craftsman. So if frame strength is your primary goal with the upgrade, I am sure that the XT3 frame will impress you and serve you well for many years. For serious hill climbing, there are better options. We all have our unique situations, that is of no doubt!

/ Bob_Bainbridge, How does your CC XT3 GSX cut? #9  
Not really hilly on our 1.5 acres. It does slope down from the back corner to the street in front of the house. Drop is 5 foot or so. So the diff lock for us is only going along for the ride.
It'll have to pull a dump cart, a spreader, a stick rake, a 40 gallon sprayer and _maybe_ a rear blade ( to fill in low spots).
Wifie has already said "go" on it, she doesn't like to spend any more time than I mowing, but I'll get her by the dealer this week for a look-see anyway.

/ Bob_Bainbridge, How does your CC XT3 GSX cut? #10  
Pulled the trigger on a GSX. Fab 54" deck and Mulching blades. Electric power steering sold wifie.