Bobcat 4045 HST, pto no neutral?

/ Bobcat 4045 HST, pto no neutral? #1  

aseiras

Tractor
BobCat CT4045
Hi,
I am new to bobcat, all my tractor before (Massey and Mahindra) had neutral PTO, meaning that when the pto is not engaged, the PTO shaft was easy to move around, so you could align the splines with the attachments to make connecting very easy.
What a surprise when I tried to connect an attachment for the first time (still connected) and I could not align the splines on the PTO shaft to connect the attachment, it took a lot of effort to rotate the tiller in order to be able to connect. What am I missing?

I tried with the tractor running, but the PTO off,. then I tried turning the tractor off (which did not make sense but still tried it) and also made super sure the HST was in neutral, both of course while on and off.

/ Bobcat 4045 HST, pto no neutral? #2  
Check this thread out regarding the same thing. It's Kioti but applies to your Bobcat too. KIOTI CK3510se PTO Output Shaft Not Free Wheeling/Free Spinning

Basically you have a wet clutch for the PTO with a spring actuated brake. Once the PTO switch is turned off, pressure is relieved on the clutch pack and the spring engages the brake.

If you don't have multiple PTO speeds, like 540 and 540E, then there isn't a lever to put the PTO in Neutral.

/ Bobcat 4045 HST, pto no neutral?
Thanks for the time and info.

I do have the 540 and 540e (on the dash) but there is no neutral lever anywhere that I can see.
I read the post you referred and I find it silly that they actually put a brake in the system with no way to relieve it.. it makes me want to return the tractor, which I might as well do since it only has 2 hours now. I am really disappointed that a new tractor has this issue when my older tractors did not.

/ Bobcat 4045 HST, pto no neutral? #4  
You can always hook up the implement, lift it a little bit and then rotate the PTO shaft at the implement.

Not a good option for me. I rather do not touch the tiller's knives .. lol

Do you have any experience with this

/ Bobcat 4045 HST, pto no neutral? #6  
Not a good option for me. I rather do not touch the tiller's knives .. lol

Do you have any experience with this
They aren't really sharp at all.

I've never used an overrunning clutch, but that's sure another solution for you issue. Just make sure the PTO shaft length is right so you break stuff.

Personally, I'm little bit against anything that extends the PTO stub shafts further than it needs to be. For one it puts more stress on bearings, housings, etc, then it puts a lot sharper angles on the PTO shaft it self. But this it's just me and my opinion.

Thanks.. I'm about to call the dealer to come pick it up. This is bad enough for me not you want the tractor anymore.

/ Bobcat 4045 HST, pto no neutral? #8  
See what they have to say about that situation. They will probably suggest the overrunning clutch as well, and for $40 or $50 it solves your issue.

It's a shame that the US market doesn't get 540E option on most of the tractors sold there. It's really a nice feature and can save decent amount of fuel too, since you can the engine at lower RPM while still getting 540 RPM at the PTO, and the best feature is that it allows you to put the PTO in Neutral so it free spins.

/ Bobcat 4045 HST, pto no neutral? #9  
That is one thing I looked for when I bought my Branson/TYM. 540E and PTO neutral.

Will the dealer just take it back??

I'll try.