Bobcat back in the shop

/ Bobcat back in the shop #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
I have my 225 back in the shop for a front end rebuild. I just got it out after having a new seal in the front hub replaced. this will run about $3500.
My other repairs have been 2 new front hubs $1300 each
repair 3 hydraulic leaks $2300.
rebuild motor $3000
trace down broken wire that kept it from starting $150
I have always thought it a good tractor but I am now over 10 grand in repairs not counting what was done under warranty(3 hydo leaks).
This puts me over 10 grand in repairs. My tractor is about 8 years old and has about 2000 hard work hours on it.
Does anyone else average $1300 in repairs per year? This figure does not include maintenance.

/ Bobcat back in the shop #2  
Wow, I bought my ct235 used in 2015 with 1300 hours, now has 2026 hours (711 pretty hard hours in 4 years). I resealed both curl cylinders and now have one lift cylinder needing it. Had to replace the engine oil pan only because someone had previously broken both side where the drain plugs screw in (by over tightening). Oil and filters other than that.

/ Bobcat back in the shop #3  
it looks like you have a better streak of luck than others!. checking around, how about some needing a total rebuild before 500 hours..

/ Bobcat back in the shop #4  
it looks like you have a better streak of luck than others!. checking around, how about some needing a total rebuild before 500 hours..
Where are you seeing that ??
Show me.

/ Bobcat back in the shop #5  
Does anyone else average $1300 in repairs per year? This figure does not include maintenance.

My 584 IH was 20 years old when I got it,,
I put a starter solenoid on it the first year,, ($100)

Now, it just passed 40 years old,, I just replaced the 4 tires in the last few years,, ($2,000 for all 4 tires)

That is it,, and I run the tractor pretty hard, and often,,

$2,100 / 20 = pretty close to $100 per year,,, BUT,, the tires were original,, so the actual cost is about $50 per year,,

I did not include oil and filters,,

My other 2 tractors actually cost less per year,,

/ Bobcat back in the shop #6  
Curious as to why the engine needed rebuilt ??

I've owned my Kioti DK 35 for 18 years (2001 model)
Currently at 2170 hours.
So far I've replaced a plastic fuel filter bowl $10 (at around 500 hours)
Tachometer cable $10 (around 800 hours)
Left rear axle seal $30 (around 2100 hours)
Starter $175 (at around 2160 hours)

/ Bobcat back in the shop
Curious as to why the engine needed rebuilt ??

I've owned my Kioti DK 35 for 18 years (2001 model)
Currently at 2170 hours.
So far I've replaced a plastic fuel filter bowl $10 (at around 500 hours)
Tachometer cable $10 (around 800 hours)
Left rear axle seal $30 (around 2100 hours)
Starter $175 (at around 2160 hours)

The engine rebuild was due to oil starvation. I ran a branch through the oil filter. I saw it right away and no damage was done. I thought it was just a fluke thing until it happened a second time a year later. I did not notice for about 5 minutes. A good bit of the oil was gone. I stopped and replaced filter and refilled with oil but it was too late. The damage had been done. I built a steel shield for the filter after the rebuild and I feel confident I am no longer in jeopardy of it happening again. I understand that it could be the same bit of bad luck that struck twice, but I feel it is a bit of a design flaw.

/ Bobcat back in the shop #8  
That S*X.. good going on the shield idea.. maybe u could patent it & SNOBCAT would have to pay U.?? Lol
U have any pics of the shield on the engine u could post.??

/ Bobcat back in the shop #9  
My 584 IH was 20 years old when I got it,,
I put a starter solenoid on it the first year,, ($100)

Now, it just passed 40 years old,, I just replaced the 4 tires in the last few years,, ($2,000 for all 4 tires)

That is it,, and I run the tractor pretty hard, and often,,

$2,100 / 20 = pretty close to $100 per year,,, BUT,, the tires were original,, so the actual cost is about $50 per year,,

I did not include oil and filters,,

My other 2 tractors actually cost less per year,,

Your 584 is a heavy duty utility tractor that is made for long term service.

Several years ago my neighbor had his 170 Allis Chalmers rebuilt after 4500 hours. It is a gasser. Far as I know he's replaced a starter and that's about it other than tires due to age. Hard to compare an ag tractor that has spent most of it's time in the fields versus a compact that is doing FEL work though.

I would love to get my hands on a 584.

/ Bobcat back in the shop
That S*X.. good going on the shield idea.. maybe u could patent it & SNOBCAT would have to pay U.?? Lol
U have any pics of the shield on the engine u could post.??

Will try to get a photo when the tractor comes back.:mad: