Buying Advice Bobcat w/ backhoe, 3PT backhoe or HF trencher

/ Bobcat w/ backhoe, 3PT backhoe or HF trencher #1  

mcentyre

Tractor
Long 2360, Mahindra
I’m in need of a backhoe around the farm. Something that will at least 7’-8’ deep. I don’t need a mini ex.

looking at different options. If I go with skid steer with a backhoe attachment, I need to keep it under $20k. I’m looking at older models but determining if used backhoes are compatible with used skid steers is tricky.
Also considering a tractor type, but would prefer a frame mount backhoe. Like a Kubota.
The bottom of the line option is the towable Harbor Freight trencher.
So for the skid steer/tractor option, what would you recommend that’s below $20k?

/ Bobcat w/ backhoe, 3PT backhoe or HF trencher #2  
Eight foot depth severely restricts your low budget options. Mine will only do six feet.

/ Bobcat w/ backhoe, 3PT backhoe or HF trencher #3  
Northern tool mini excavator 15k digs down 7' I have a great bend 651 3 point (now bushhog), digs 6.5' if northern had higher gpm on the aux hydros or if I just needed to dig holes and trenches I'd own one.
1634255646361.png

/ Bobcat w/ backhoe, 3PT backhoe or HF trencher #4  
You think you don’t need a mini x but you do. Otherwise look at a full size construction backhoes. Anything less than those 2 options will be a disappointment.

/ Bobcat w/ backhoe, 3PT backhoe or HF trencher
Thanks for info. Still looking but your advice is helpful.

/ Bobcat w/ backhoe, 3PT backhoe or HF trencher #6  
Get the mini ex if you can possibly swing it. The other options you list are toys for a suburban homeowner, and not very useful for the tasks you described.

Mini excavators hold their value.

/ Bobcat w/ backhoe, 3PT backhoe or HF trencher #7  
If you are doing anything more than digging the occasional hole get a mini. My bh77 will dig almost 8 feet but the cycle time isn’t there. I regret not getting a used mini but that would be 1 more piece of equipment to maintain so I went fifth the tractor backhoe instead

/ Bobcat w/ backhoe, 3PT backhoe or HF trencher #8  
With my self contained US made 3pt backhoe I noticed the more you use it the hotter the fluid gets I've dug stumps out where the hydro fluid got so hot it was coming out the fill tube never any major problems with it though I also learned when trenching I was able to push the tractor along with the bh without changing seats. My Point is I'd be leary of a HF model knowing the stresses you can put on the hydros and frame, but I'd be comfortable with a rebranded modified nortrac mini excavator, for digging holes, some farm, and landscaping use anyway.

/ Bobcat w/ backhoe, 3PT backhoe or HF trencher #9  
With my self contained US made 3pt backhoe I noticed the more you use it the hotter the fluid gets I've dug stumps out where the hydro fluid got so hot it was coming out the fill tube never any major problems with it though I also learned when trenching I was able to push the tractor along with the bh without changing seats. My Point is I'd be leary of a HF model knowing the stresses you can put on the hydros and frame, but I'd be comfortable with a rebranded modified nortrac mini excavator, for digging holes, some farm, and landscaping use anyway.
Factory TBLs are engineered to handle the heat generated by the hydraulics, with extra coolers designed as part of the package.

Kioti for one, explicitly states, in their owners manual, to never mount a three point backhoe to the tractor. A belhousing for a CK series costs over $1000, labor additional, and there are plenty of pictures of broken tractors on the internet.

They do sell a backhoe attachment with a subframe, but I elected to go the mini ex route, a properly engineered package that outperforms a hang on backhoe attachment.

/ Bobcat w/ backhoe, 3PT backhoe or HF trencher #10  
Eight foot depth severely restricts your low budget options. Mine will only do six feet.
Not only that, but 6 is your MAX depth meaning every inch in front of or behind that max depth wont be 6 ft deep. I would say your working depth is probably a foot or 2 shallower than that....meaning dig, move the machine 3 feet forward, dig.

If one needs to actually dig a trench with a grade/slope, this really matters.

@mcentyre I think you need more realistic expectations.....or go up on your budget.

I have a 14 ft backhoe, and getting a flat 8ft bottom trench or hole isnt that easy. Lots of movement if you are digging far. I would have to move every 4 feet or so of digging. Doable, but not efficient.

What are you digging?

Last edited: