Bolt-on Plastic Edge for FEL?

/ Bolt-on Plastic Edge for FEL? #1  

Sgt Slag

Bronze Member
Tractor
2019 Mahindra eMax 20S
Anyone tried bolting on a plastic edge piece to their FEL, to scrape down to the pavement when scooping snow on your driveway? I realize the necessity to use countersunk bolts, and likely round heads, with squares below the round heads, to prevent the bolts from spinning when you tighten them. Just wondering if anyone has experience they care to share so I can avoid re-inventing the wheel.

I have been using knock-off Edge Tamers, but my neighbor (shared driveway) doesn't like the one-inch of snow. I leave behind, as it quickly compresses into ice when driven over. He wants me to add a plastic edge piece scraper to my FEL. Best part is, he tried this, himself, already, on his tractor!

He told me to leave the driveway to him, with his industrial snow blower, which scrapes down to the pavement; he said I could use my FEL to remove the 3-foot plow wall at the street because if that gets icy, it doesn't matter. I do not want to let him have all of the fun/responsibility, but I understand his issue with my leaving a one-inch layer of snow behind....

Any insights would be much appreciated. Looking to avoid commercial products, as this seems like a simple-enough DIY project, with a little guidance. Cheers!

PS:

If this is NOT a DIY project, I would appreciate insight as to why a commercial product is recommended instead. Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Bolt-on Plastic Edge for FEL? #2  
My son used some plastic edge on his snowpusher that did not scratch asphalt but he had issues with the edge chipping if hitting frozen chunks.

It was black in color and I believe some HDM?? Composition.

/ Bolt-on Plastic Edge for FEL? #3  
I use the 1" thick rubber scraper material the road commission uses on their truck belly plows. Priced by the foot. I bet you could get some of their take-off material.

/ Bolt-on Plastic Edge for FEL? #4  
That is certainly a DIY project. I prefer UHMW Polyethylene edges on my front and rear plows. Vertically with 1.25" on the pavement they wear very well. I would imagine horizontally on the bucket they would would wear even better.
I never installed a poly edge on my bucket, but you're on the right track with counter sunk holes and flat plow bolts.

/ Bolt-on Plastic Edge for FEL? #5  
Polyethylene or plastic compared to various rubbers are sure different. Even the varities of plastic's is black and white different. We use HDPE and like its good wear characteristics yet reasonable price.

/ Bolt-on Plastic Edge for FEL? #6  
   / Bolt-on Plastic Edge for FEL?
The more I think about it, the commercial Snow Edge product sounds better and better. I am not thrilled with drilling a series of holes into the leading edge of my bucket due to it exposing it to rust. The bolt-on Snow Edge looks to be a great option, worth the price of admission. Time to start dropping coffee money into a new Winter Plowing Piggy Bank! Thanks, everyone, for your comments and advice. Cheers!

/ Bolt-on Plastic Edge for FEL? #8  
I had a snow edge on my previous tractor with a 5' bucket. It worked good, and was VERY well built. I sold it when I got a larger tractor.

/ Bolt-on Plastic Edge for FEL? #9  
Not on a tractor, but I tried a plastic edge on the plow on my ATV a few years ago. I just used a piece of PVC pipe with a slit in it. Was a bit of a PITA to get it started to put on but it got easier as you went along. Did the job.

/ Bolt-on Plastic Edge for FEL? #10  
I'd let the neighbor have the 'fun'...

Or, use a Rotary broom on the remaining inch. Of course, that could be a PITA depending on the temp/texture of the snow.