Boom bent?

/ Boom bent? #1  

deelowe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota Mx5400
More noob questions. I was clearing some of my property and caught the base of a tree on the left side. Didn’t think much of it but when inspecting the bucket today I came across an issue. I think the cylinder is straight. I checked with a straight edge. Links look ok also.

How screwed am I?

Apologies for the large pictures.

98B717E6-0DCB-428B-BF68-1D9AEF670769.jpeg

F765C55F-ADBE-4B65-AAA6-83155EDD659F.jpeg

878BD99F-599C-49CE-BABA-AFBE3BE63720.jpeg

/ Boom bent? #2  
Did the pins slide out ok? or did some need to be pressed out? The pictures don't look like the boom is wracked or bent very much if at all. With pins back in on one side, will the boom line up on the other side without force? If so I'd let it be.

Others have posted loader pics whose buckets aren't parallel with the rear axle - allegedly that way from new.

Last edited:
   / Boom bent?
Nothing seems to bind but the link is rubbing and the cylinder doesn’t line up on the left. Cylinder needs some force to get it to slide into links for the ssqa.

Havent tried taking the pin for the bucket cylinder out yet. Might try that next once the rain stops.

/ Boom bent? #4  
I believe the small amounts that things have to move to line up are insignificant - in other words, I don't think there's a problem here.

I once had an LA680 loader with a slightly bent boom that needed some twist to install the pins. But once assembled and greased it was fine.

Last edited:
   / Boom bent?
I believe the small amounts that things have to move to line up are insignificant - in other words, I don't think there's a problem here.
I once had an LA680 loader with a slightly bent boom that needed some twist to install the pins. But once assembled and greased it worked fine.
Should I just run it as is? The rubbing on the link had me concerned that I might damage the cylinder if I left it as is.

/ Boom bent? #6  
Do you have KTAC? If so, you are not screwed. Make a claim.

Otherwise, try to figure out where the loader arm is bent. Many folks have been successful bending atms straight by using a come-along attached to a tree and pulling the bend out. Use string from various points on left and right sides and look for differences. If the tractor was older, I'd just say"run it!"

/ Boom bent? #7  
Should I just run it as is? The rubbing on the link had me concerned that I might damage the cylinder if I left it as is.

If you are mostly concerned about the wear on the link, my L805 loader has the same wear only on one side. I have never torqued the loader that I am aware of, and I consider it normal.
IMG_3693.jpg

/ Boom bent? #9  
I think he is most worried about side loading the cylinder and wearing out the seals, which is a valid concern.