Oil & Fuel Boomer with LS Mtron premature turbo failure in cold weather

/ Boomer with LS Mtron premature turbo failure in cold weather #1  

RustyA

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 40 Cab
For those that have not been following the discussion regarding LS engine issues I wanted to make everyone aware of something. You can read the thread to get all the details but the bottom line is this...if you have a Boomer with the LS Mtron 1.9 turbo do not follow the owner's manual guidelines for proper oil viscosity. There is a new Advice Bulletin KA000001894 that now recommends 0W40 full synthetic oil and a software update for units built before August of 2018. Update limits cold start idle rpms to protect turbo during warmup. If you live in a cold climate and have not been advised by your dealer might be worth a phone call. My turbo failed and hydrolocked the engine with factory oil at 26 hours, also plugged DPF with oil. Read the thread for all the details but since New Holland doesn't seem to do preventative customer notifications I thought I would spread the word on this thread also.

/ Boomer with LS Mtron premature turbo failure in cold weather #3  
View attachment 593465 Copy of New Holland Turbo failure bulletin

Thanks for the article. I’ve got a boomer but with an fpt diesel. It calls for 10w30 which is what I have in it, but in this cold climate I was wondering about a different oil. Maybe I will talk with the dealer. Is your dealer in Baldwin?

/ Boomer with LS Mtron premature turbo failure in cold weather
Recent update. Was grading our road Sunday and timer on instrument cluster started flashing and hour meter flashed between fault code for EGR position and 1000 rpm limiter even though tractor continued operating normally at 2000 rpm. Dealer had me check to make sure electic harness was connected to EGR valve which it was. I'm guessing EGR valve was contaminated during turbo failure. 38 hours on this tractor and it's back to the dealer again. Owned my John Deere 1070 for 21 years and it never saw a service dept. Dealer is being great but I'm losing confidence in this tractor��

/ Boomer with LS Mtron premature turbo failure in cold weather #5  
Frustrating read Rusty.

Dealer did order new EGR valve for the tractor and waiting for part to arrive from CNH. Hope that's the last consequence of the turbo failure.

/ Boomer with LS Mtron premature turbo failure in cold weather #7  
Are you back up and running?

/ Boomer with LS Mtron premature turbo failure in cold weather #8  
When I was changing oil in our Cummings 6.7 I made the move to Valvoline 5-40 for winter and 15-40 for summer,
our truck sounded so much better with this oil I switched my old DX-60 to it and it was way quieter.

So the first oil change last fall I went with the 5-40, but to be truthful I plug in our tractor in the winter the day
before I need it and I also put a nipco on the right side with a old piece of shower wall on the left side to pre-warm
up the tractor. I run that an hour, when done my hydraulics are warm and just turning on the key I feel heat from
the vents before the tractor is even started.

I started this after one day of -25 degrees and the hydraulics had a hissy fit in the cold and shut down the tractor
for low flow.

Dealer returned the Boomer with a new EGR valve installed Friday. Had company all weekend and did not get a chance to use it. If it rains this week planning to grade our road and make sure it's good. Dealer said EGR seemed to be contaminated with oil and debris from previous turbo failure.

/ Boomer with LS Mtron premature turbo failure in cold weather #10  
Good to hear Rusty. Let's hope that's the last of it.