Both mid and rear PTOs engaged at the same time.

/ Both mid and rear PTOs engaged at the same time. #1  

homey53

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota RTV 900, 2016 Kubota BX25 DBL
I was lawn mowing last Friday with my BX25D mid mount deck. I was mowing around some spruce trees with low hanging branches. All of a sudden the tractor began to shudder and the RPM seemed to drop quickly, and then quite abruptly, it stalled out. At the time, I couldn't figure out what happened. As I look back on it, I think what happened was, a low hanging branch on the trees I was mowing around, caught the rear PTO lever, and pushed it into the engaged position. It took me a few minutes to notice that. Once I took that out of the engaged position, I restatrted the tractor, and all was good again. I guess my question is, did I or could I have done any damage to the tractor by running it with both mid and rear PTOs engaged?

/ Both mid and rear PTOs engaged at the same time. #2  
No, no damages could result from that.

/ Both mid and rear PTOs engaged at the same time. #3  
there is also no reason for why it stalled, was something hooked to the rear pto?

/ Both mid and rear PTOs engaged at the same time.
there is also no reason for why it stalled, was something hooked to the rear pto?
No, I forgot to mention that. There was nothing attached to the rear PTO. I'm not sure what the heck happened? It was a strange few seconds, for sure. The tractor is new to me. I bought it, used, this past spring. I think not being 100% familiar with everything, accounts for a lot of my not recognizing, right off, what happened. But, it did die out. When it started to die, I pushed the throttle lever way up, and it responded for a second or two, and then it just died. That's why I was so concerned. I just sat there for a minute or two trying to figure out what I did. That's when I noticed the rear PTO was engaged, so I took that out, and the mid one out, and restarted it. It ran as normal, and I finished mowing. I've used it for a couple hours since then with no issues. I guess I'll chalk it up to experience, or maybe better yet, "inexperience".

/ Both mid and rear PTOs engaged at the same time. #5  
On my BX2230, I have two PTO levers. The first is to engage or disengage the PTO(s). The second PTO lever has three positions. One end of the movement is the rear PTO selected. The other end selects the mid PTO. The middle position is to run both PTO at the same time. This is utilized when using the mower deck and the bagger attachment. So no damage when running both PTOs at the same time. Jon

/ Both mid and rear PTOs engaged at the same time.
On my BX2230, I have two PTO levers. The first is to engage or disengage the PTO(s). The second PTO lever has three positions. One end of the movement is the rear PTO selected. The other end selects the mid PTO. The middle position is to run both PTO at the same time. This is utilized when using the mower deck and the bagger attachment. So no damage when running both PTOs at the same time. Jon
Thanks Jon.

/ Both mid and rear PTOs engaged at the same time. #7  
I used to have the bagger on my BX25 so it ran the mower deck of the mid PTO and bagger off the rear and never had an issue. I think something else must have happened. If that branch caused you to move in the seat perhaps the seat safety shut it down? All my Kubota's have seemed to be really sensitive to operator position in the seat.