Bought a new ZD1211

/ Bought a new ZD1211 #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
Took delivery of a new 2020 ZD1211 with a 60 side discharge.
At first I was looking for used but having never operated a zero turn let alone a Kubota zero turn I decided to look at new machines with 60 months zero interest.
With Kubota's optional loan insurance that covers any and everything beyond warranty for 5 years including fire,theft, accident and stupidly there was no other choice.
It was delivered in two days and I have to say it is all I could have hoped for!
I looked at 3 other major brands none of which had hydraulic deck lift which was mandatory.
The Kubota's ergonomics also better suited me.
Lugging 5 gallon cans of gas was getting old so diesel was also required as I have bulk.
My lawn was past due for a mowing do I hopped on and let-er- rip as I received it.
When I finished the lawn never looked so bad.
No problem grass grows and I guess I need to set the deck up.
Yesterday was deck adjustment day along with a thorough check top to bottom.
I ran it up on my lift so I could see and touch everything.
All points were greased or lubricated and I then I proceeded to set the deck up per instructions.
Took it back out now it is nice and even.
Looking forward to putting more time in to perfect the turns and straight lines.
Certainly easier on my body than my old 22 hp Scag STHM.

90cummins

/ Bought a new ZD1211 #2  
Took delivery of a new 2020 ZD1211 with a 60 side discharge.
At first I was looking for used but having never operated a zero turn let alone a Kubota zero turn I decided to look at new machines with 60 months zero interest.
With Kubota's optional loan insurance that covers any and everything beyond warranty for 5 years including fire,theft, accident and stupidly there was no other choice.
It was delivered in two days and I have to say it is all I could have hoped for!
I looked at 3 other major brands none of which had hydraulic deck lift which was mandatory.
The Kubota's ergonomics also better suited me.
Lugging 5 gallon cans of gas was getting old so diesel was also required as I have bulk.
My lawn was past due for a mowing do I hopped on and let-er- rip as I received it.
When I finished the lawn never looked so bad.
No problem grass grows and I guess I need to set the deck up.
Yesterday was deck adjustment day along with a thorough check top to bottom.
I ran it up on my lift so I could see and touch everything.
All points were greased or lubricated and I then I proceeded to set the deck up per instructions.
Took it back out now it is nice and even.
Looking forward to putting more time in to perfect the turns and straight lines.
Certainly easier on my body than my old 22 hp Scag STHM.

90cummins

Congratulations! If you live on hillside remember to go uphill when grass damp or tall slick grass. I get a scary ride every now and then when I don't realize grass is a bit slick because of how high it is or damp going down hill uncontrollably.
Another feature I've discovered with mine is the air intake for the fuel works and need to clean that air filter often especially if mowing in dusty area.
I bought the same machine with about 40 hours on it last year and now have over 50 hours on it and done the 50 hours service, well most of it until I find that second hyd filter location.:)
I do have the rear discharge deck which may be the reason air filter seems to get dirty quicker than the Fs which have side discharge with mulching kit and other Fs with rear discharge decks. The location and size of the intake port on the ZD seems to be a suction for the dirty dusty air intake.
I had one wheel spinning more than the other so also check your tire pressure of drive tires which is supposed to be a fairly low number.

/ Bought a new ZD1211 #3  
I have been happy with my zd1211 72" side discharge. My first cut didn't go so well, as I assumed the anti scalp wheels were adjusted correctly. After getting them adjusted it cuts about perfect.
My only beef is that Kubota changed the blade mounting hole diameter and I can't use my preferred G6 Gator blades. Yet.
There is a topic here that several members have shown how to machine the blade bosses to accommodate the older style blades... Complete with picture and dimensions. Thanks!

If someone actually understands the tied in tank system, please consider posting. The manual is not well written in describing the system.
My take:
The fuel gauge technically reads the fuel level in the RH tank. The fuel is used from the LH tank, and draws from the RH tank to equalize the fuel level. If I run the LH tank dry with some fuel in the RH tank, I can continue to operate by closing the LH tank fuel valve. Correct?

/ Bought a new ZD1211
I ran the ZD 1211 up on my lift so I could inspect and touch everything, well designed and heavy.
As you can see the front wheels were just wide enough to run up the runway so locked the front axle just in case one of the wheels went off the edge.
After giving it some love (grease) one caster did roll off the runway with no consequences.
The hydraulic filter is located under the engine/transmission between the frame and the HST filter (yellow) is under seat. If you look closely you will notice I put a powerful magnet on the hydraulic filter. I did the same to the HST filter.
3 grease fillings can be seen on the engine to transmission input shaft.
The mower deck shaft is basically identical however I had to disconnect the shaft from the transmission to grease the universal on the gearbox.
Reading the operators manual I noticed that the mower gearbox oil specification is different among deck models.
Mine requires 10w30 engine oil while others require SAE90 GL3.
Curious as to why?
I noticed the universals do not purge like automotive applications so I carefully greased until I felt resistance.
When greasing the mower deck gearbox you should cover the belt so grease will not fall on it.
Any pivot point without a grease fitting got a touch of oil.
During my inspection I found the tires were at 18psi, 12 is the recommendation but I set mine to 10 which seems work well.
Hope this info is useful.
90cummins

[/ATTACH] C713EED4-0764-4A5E-8BD1-ED25F6750AF0.jpeg9C9E6F2A-83F8-4418-A8C4-2C53F7D11577.jpeg6467BD29-A597-4A23-86D0-6BC954B22FA1.jpegD0B1875C-3056-4596-B8CA-4F251DFEA5D9.jpeg[ATTACH=

/ Bought a new ZD1211 #5  
I ran the ZD 1211 up on my lift so I could inspect and touch everything, well designed and heavy.
As you can see the front wheels were just wide enough to run up the runway so locked the front axle just in case one of the wheels went off the edge.
After giving it some love (grease) one caster did roll off the runway with no consequences.
The hydraulic filter is located under the engine/transmission between the frame and the HST filter (yellow) is under seat. If you look closely you will notice I put a powerful magnet on the hydraulic filter. I did the same to the HST filter.
3 grease fillings can be seen on the engine to transmission input shaft.
The mower deck shaft is basically identical however I had to disconnect the shaft from the transmission to grease the universal on the gearbox.
Reading the operators manual I noticed that the mower gearbox oil specification is different among deck models.
Mine requires 10w30 engine oil while others require SAE90 GL3.
Curious as to why?
I noticed the universals do not purge like automotive applications so I carefully greased until I felt resistance.
When greasing the mower deck gearbox you should cover the belt so grease will not fall on it.
Any pivot point without a grease fitting got a touch of oil.
During my inspection I found the tires were at 18psi, 12 is the recommendation but I set mine to 10 which seems work well.
Hope this info is useful.
90cummins

[/ATTACH]View attachment 664356View attachment 664357View attachment 664359View attachment 664358

/ Bought a new ZD1211 #6  
A trick my dealer showed me is. When you R&R any of HYD. filters especially underneath. Remove the Hyd. fill cap and place some
tape over it so it can't breath, this will help in not loosing a large amount of Hyd oil when you change the filters.
He also suggested after the 1st 50 hr. filter change. Change the Hyd. oil and filters at 300 hrs. instead of the 250hr filter and 400hr. Hyd. oil change.

/ Bought a new ZD1211
I have 21 hours on my new ZD1211 60” deck.
Workin on my turns to minimize turf damage.
Very impressed with how quiet the engine is compared to my old Scag STHM.
I have leveled the deck but it still scalps on the right side especially when mowing around obstacles CCW.
It has mounting provisions on the right rear of the deck for an anti scalp wheel but one is not mounted.
I have noticed pictures of my my machine with 60” deck and they were absent also.
What gives?
Other than that awesome machine.

90cummins

/ Bought a new ZD1211 #8  
My older ZD326 60" has the rear anti scalp wheels, but after 12 (?) years, they are practically brand new. Even the rear anti scalp wheels on my 72" mowers do not see any use. That said, I do go through front wheels every 200 hours or so on both deck sizes.

With a previously leveled deck I would be looking at tire pressure if there is scalping in a turn...

/ Bought a new ZD1211
My older ZD326 60" has the rear anti scalp wheels, but after 12 (?) years, they are practically brand new. Even the rear anti scalp wheels on my 72" mowers do not see any use. That said, I do go through front wheels every 200 hours or so on both deck sizes.

With a previously leveled deck I would be looking at tire pressure if there is scalping in a turn...

The tires are at 12 psi.
I will recheck the deck adjustment but why does my deck not have a wheel on the right rear?!
Could you take a photo if yours and post!

90cummins

/ Bought a new ZD1211 #10  
I assumed you meant your 60” deck did not have rear anti scalp wheels at all, and saw photos of other new 60” decks that were the same. My older zd326 has rear anti scalp deck wheels. Do you want a photo of that?

If you have a left rear wheel, there should certainly be one on the right.