Bought an IH 240U with loader

/ Bought an IH 240U with loader #1  

Coolnorth

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Harris Model 20, IH 240 Utility
Its been years since i spent time on TBN, but with buying this new to me Tractor, thought id share the fun!
I have put about 3 weeks of care into this unit since purchase, over 70 hours in the shop. Winter is moving into the area so I migrated an old snowplow onto the loader arms.
I do have a question for those that might have some insight. What model of loader would this be? In Northern Ontario or South Eastern Manitoba, the common aftermarket products were Allied and Buhler. The loader has no identifying marks. It also appears that it never had a hydraulic bucket on it, only the manure bucket. (The pin hoes for a hydraulic bucket are like new, no wear). Anyway, this tractor is so much more than my Massey Harris 20. Powerful, solid, heavier. If anyone has thoughts on that loader, id love to hear.

Attachments

• 20191101_135409.jpg
    20191101_135409.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 311
  • 20191014_123741.jpg
    20191014_123741.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 277
  • 20191108_205204.jpg
    20191108_205204.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 258
  • 20191023_135731.jpg
    20191023_135731.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 294
  • 20191108_205235.jpg
    20191108_205235.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 277
   / Bought an IH 240U with loader #2  
I have no idea on the loader, but, those 240's are sweet little tractors. Dad got our's in '71, and I inherited it after he passed. That, and my Super C's are the most used tractors here. For general usage, they are heard to beat on fuel consumption, for a gas tractor. Using them for general chores, they'll only use aprox. a gallon of gas per hour. About 1/3 what my Ford 2000 3 cyl. will use. The Ford has it's place, especially when the power steering comes in handy, but most times, it's the 240, or Super C's.

I hope you were fortunate enough, for that one to have the optional power steering. I know what mine steers like without anything on the front, can't imagine what it'd be like with a loader. I think you're going to like it even more, the more you use it. Great little tractors..!!

/ Bought an IH 240U with loader
Well thanks for the info and story about your 240. I was fortunate to get the power steering model, it also has three hydraulic valves (1 for quick hitch, the other 2 for loader or what have you).
Hoping to use it for haying and also for work around our market garden. Since the loader works properly and appears in good repair, I was only hoping to add a decal to it if I could find out what it is, plus learn about it's lifting capacity. I am hoping to find a 1/3 yard bucket but will have to source tilt cylinders from Princess Auto (Cdn equivalent to Harbour Freight I suppose) but I have a local business that do hoses and fittings. Anyway, those are dreams for next spring.
This 240U comes with the Rockwell clutch, letter J on the end of the s/n. I have read that it is a preferred clutch. Friend of mine sold this tractor to me. He bought it with the intention to add it to his fleet of 300 Utilities, but is too busy with work, so decided to let it go. Photo of Nic delivering it attached.20191014_105238.jpg

/ Bought an IH 240U with loader #4  
Hopefully you can find a few Fast Hitch attachments to go along with it. Or a one piece type 3 pt. adapter, to be able to utilize any 3 pt. attachments. The 3 pt. geometry isn't perfect, but they work pretty good.

Back in the 70's, and early 80's, FH attachments could be bought for pennies on the dollar, now they seem to be gold around here.

About 18 months ago, I bought an IH 140, similar to the Super A's. It did not have Fast Hitch, but did find a complete FH assembly to convert it. It's a work in progress, to be worked on when I get a few other items on the "to do" list finished. Their implements only have a single prong. So far I have a plow, and bought a single gang disk this summer at an auction. I'm constantly checking Craigslist, or FaceBook Marketplace for Fast Hitch implements, hoping to find something interesting I don't have, within a few hour drive.

/ Bought an IH 240U with loader
I saw your post about the 140, very nice. I have a friend with an IH300 Utility and some fast hitch stuff. I will be visiting there in due time. She is widowed and not using most of that farming equipment now. Will share on the forum as things move along. Thanks for your help and suggestions!

/ Bought an IH 240U with loader #6  
Very nice tractor. Do you need a set of wheel weights for it?