Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ?

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #1  

Cycledude

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4155, Ford 6610, Ford 8n
2022 Ford F-150 extended cab. Would love to hear some of your opinions-experience about undercoating. Living in Wisconsin rust is a really big issue.
I’m definitely not a high miles driver and at 68 years old this could be my last new truck.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #3  
I've seen aluminum Ford beds that need rust repair when I had my truck repaired...

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #4  
My 2016 f150 has zero issues with rust. Frame and bed look the same as when new

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ?
I thought the Ford trucks now were aluminum?
Yes the body has been made of mostly aluminum since 2015 but the frame is still made with mostly steel.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #6  
I gave up on undercoating. The stuff partially pulls away from the steel and become a home for rust.

Instead, I have used Krown and other brands of wool wax-based rust proofing. Re-apply yearly. Works very well in upstate New York with harsh winters and sand/salt/whatever roads.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #7  
Under body rust proofing is generally considered a 'scam' type of add-on like an extended warranty. The cost and the benefit don't line up. Much cheaper to find a car wash with the under body wash.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #8  
2022 Ford F-150 extended cab. Would love to hear some of your opinions-experience about undercoating. Living in Wisconsin rust is a really big issue.
I’m definitely not a high miles driver and at 68 years old this could be my last new truck.
That is an excellent question. Down South (Texas) I would not. But I grew up in Ohio and all vehicles rusted from the salt. I have a 2015 which is aluminum, but there is still plenty of steel under there. I **think** there is some "protection" from the coating they spray to prevent galvanic corrosion (steel to aluminum), but unclear how much Ford sprays or how "good" this is. Personally, I would contact a Ford guru.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #9  
Depends on what type of "undercoating" you are talking about.

If your talking about the stuff that sets up and is like a rubberized coating.....kinda like rhino liner in a truck bed....I have heard it isnt good in the northern snow/salt states. Because any hole or imperfection in it now allows moisture, and it traps said moisture and accelerates the problem.

Better solution is some type of liquid form. On my vehicles, I use fluid film. Can buy it by the 5-gal pail. And a high pressure airless paint sprayer like a graco or similar apply it pretty quickly.

/ Bought new pickup should I get it undercoated ? #10  
My 2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon came completely undercoated. It's four years old and I've had no problems with chipping, pealing or rust. Recognizing I live in an area that is designated as semi-arid.

My previous truck - Ford F-150 had no rust after 14 years either. I intentionally avoid areas where deicing would be used - freeways and big cities. And not because of the deicing materials - I just dislike areas of high traffic.