Box blade to snow pusher

/ Box blade to snow pusher #1  

puckgrinder85

Platinum Member
Tractor
'13 Yanmar Lx4100
Well I'm not dead set on the idea but I look at a box blade and think I could easily use that as a snow pusher without all the attachment points and bracing in the box blade of course. I look up snow pusher prices and am about blown over by them. I could get a box blade, new even, cut out the supports and add in a little bracing for the side wings and still only have half the money into it than buying a snow pusher outright. Has anyone else thought along these lines?

/ Box blade to snow pusher #2  
it works but try to angle it back a bit so the box side edges are off the ground otherwise the sides dig in and scar the driveway, been my experience anyway

/ Box blade to snow pusher #3  
puckgrinder85. Thanks for posting this idea. I have considered this also. Adding a universal mounting plate to the back for skidsteer use, but not removing 3 point hookup to use with tractor. I think one reason for price difference is the trip edges on the pushers. I use an old 7' box blade for snow with a 7' front blade with pro wings added. I like the combo. lt190b

/ Box blade to snow pusher
Well I ride the box blade on the side edges on accident sometimes, with the blacktop frozen its not going to do anything but wear out the edges of the box sides. Maybe I can just bolt a SSQA plate on the back and see how it works.

/ Box blade to snow pusher #5  
The box blade will work fine on small amounts of snow, but I would be concerned about trying to move big heavy mounds with it because of the stress it puts on the 3pt linkage when used as a bulldozer. One does not have to search too deep in the TBN archives to find bent up linkage from "box blade bulldozing". YMMV. Cheers!

/ Box blade to snow pusher #6  
The box blade will work fine on small amounts of snow, but I would be concerned about trying to move big heavy mounds with it because of the stress it puts on the 3pt linkage when used as a bulldozer. One does not have to search too deep in the TBN archives to find bent up linkage from "box blade bulldozing". YMMV. Cheers!

If I am not mistaken, the OP is talking about using the box blade off of the FEL via skidsteer quick attach plate, not pushing with the box blade like many do with a back blade, where the damage to the linkages can occur.

/ Box blade to snow pusher #7  
Interesting idea, please post any updates.

/ Box blade to snow pusher #8  
If I am not mistaken, the OP is talking about using the box blade off of the FEL via skidsteer quick attach plate, not pushing with the box blade like many do with a back blade, where the damage to the linkages can occur.

Ahhhh. I didn't catch that. Clever idea. Thanks!

/ Box blade to snow pusher #9  
Have you looked for used plow blades? I've seen a number of them locally that seemed like a decent deal. This is an 8ft model with the SSQA already in place...asking $1K

SNOW PLOW 8 FT , TRACTOR/SKIDSTEER

There also seem to be a lot of 7-8' standard plow blades for sale locally in the $400-750 range that look solid, and it would seem you could weld a SSQA plate to one pretty easily. I'm sure availability varies with where you are, but it's worth considering.