Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence?

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #101  
Me too milkman636.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #102  
A cabbed 1740M is at the top of my list of replacement tractor candidates, edging out another Daedong product. The back end did look a little lighter to me, but I kinda dismissed it as being too accustomed to my probably overbuilt tractor.

You've caused me to rethink this and literally cross the 1740M off the list. Thanks for taking the time to post your troubles, and the resolution process.

It was interesting to see the picture of the 1750M 3 point early in this thread

surprised to see the way the lift was designed.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...ke-after-fc35a879-2ba9-4f06-9e5e-2b2267e47c12

It apparently puts much of the force into the left lower mount that supports the single hydraulic ram.

Last edited:
   / Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #103  
Playing devil's advocate here. They can say this is a "BROKEN" part and not fix it. Let's face it none but the drive knows what happened. It's obvious the part took some major stress. Now did that stress happen vertically, horizontally, or some other way to twist the cast iron.

Now having said that I would get a metallurgist involved if they DO NOT repair it. My guess is it's a Chinese forged part and the manufacturer cust some corners. Testing will tell you what that part was rated at. BUT, here again, no one but the driver knows if the cast was being utilized as it was intended.

It sounds like the owner will step up on this one as he should because it will cost him more in bad publicity that that repairs will cost.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #104  
Playing devil's advocate here. They can say this is a "BROKEN" part and not fix it. Let's face it none but the drive knows what happened. It's obvious the part took some major stress. Now did that stress happen vertically, horizontally, or some other way to twist the cast iron.

Now having said that I would get a metallurgist involved if they DO NOT repair it. My guess is it's a Chinese forged part and the manufacturer cust some corners. Testing will tell you what that part was rated at. BUT, here again, no one but the driver knows if the cast was being utilized as it was intended.

It sounds like the owner will step up on this one as he should because it will cost him more in bad publicity that that repairs will cost.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what caused it. If it was bad operation or not. It was simply bad design.

The 3 PT is the main working feature of the tractor, it must be made to handle pretty much anything. If the blade did hit, let's say a big rock, the tractor should either start spinning or just jerk to side and move on. Or, someone was plowing a field, like we do here, and it would find a rock or a root.

3 PT is where the main pulling and pushing forces happen. Relying on a single ear made that is made of cast iron, is kinda asking for problems. It would probably be fine if it was made of a thick piece of steel or if the pin would cross all the way to the other side and connected both ears.

I was using a spading machine on my tractor a month ago on a super packed hard clay and when the spading machine would it a even harder spot or a rock, it would throw my 4000lbs tractor around like nothing. Now imagine the stresses on the 3 pt during 6 hours of this. The tab that holds the pin even got the bolts loosen slightly. That design of the MF would break in a couple minutes.

Last edited:
   / Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #105  
Was at a Massey dealer last week. They said Massey is changing the 1700m to 1800m. Whether that's just a nomenclature change or an actual update to the current 1700m design I don't know. But it will be interesting if there is an change in the design of the 3 point lower arm attachment points on the 35 and 40 hp models.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #106  
Hope they take care of it, seems like a bad casting just to bust off like that, I was just looking at a 1760M with cab yesterday, thinking of upgrading and the dealer also said they are changing model numbers this fall. I've pulled the heck out of my 4foot 4 tooth box blade with my 1705 with no damage yet and I have abused it which is my reason to go bigger.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #107  
Any update on your tractor? I have a 1740M and I’ve lost a lot of confidence in my tractor. Good luck getting this resolved & keep us posted.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #108  
Any update on your tractor? I have a 1740M and I’ve lost a lot of confidence in my tractor. Good luck getting this resolved & keep us posted.
Why? Have you heard about more than one that had a fault like this?

The tread is full of arm chair tractor engineers that know it all.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #109  

Agvg, we know you like MF and it's probably your favorite brand. That's absolutely fine but, we all have to agree that it was a bad design choice made between MF and Iseki. It's not a matter of being arm chair engineer. It's pretty obvious that it is a weak link using a single ear made with cast iron.

If they want to use that single ear design, at least get a shaft going from one ear to the other ear on the other side. It would make for much solid base for a 3pt as it wouldn't try to twist the ear like it does now.

The way they made it, it's not hard at all to break the ear. We all make mistakes and let's say you're turning with a mower attached and the mower would hit a tree or something? It would break that ear instantaneously, while with other designs would just handle the stress and skew the tractor sideways. I've done it myself with a 4000 lbs+ tractor without any damage whatsoever.

EDIT: On a closer look on the picture of the first post, look like they made it, so it's not necessary to replace the entire axle housing. The ear for the 3 point is part of a standalone piece between the rear end and the axle housing. It almost looks like they were expecting to have problems and made it somewhat easy and less expensive to replace.

Last edited:
   / Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #110  

MF must have made thousands and thousands of tractors with this design. One owner with a new tractor posts in this forum that he had a failure within the first 3 hours of use and all of a sudden it is a bad design? As a MF owner, I too would like to hear from other owners who have had this same problem (but not just from a friend of a friend who says...) It does seem like a lot of folks are calling it a bad design because their tractor didn't break with hard use so their tractor's design is better. To me the circumstances of the failure during the first use all point to a manufacturing defect even not knowing situation where the failure occurred.