Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence?

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #111  
I get that tractors with 3pt hitches seem to function well and seldom break. That said, I always cringe at the amplifications of force hanging out there. I used to drive 20 miles to our hunting and @16mph with a rough cut mower hanging out back. I always held my breath when i hit a bump and watched it bounce. I've heard of brackets breaking when pushing a rear blade in reverse, backing an empty lower arm into a tree, an implement bouncing on the rear, etc.

Maybe that design is robust enough, but I am sure glad that my New Holland has a "Clevis" type of bracket, rather that that single "ear" arrangement

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence?
Not much of an update. Deal came and got the tractor, did their inspection and returned the tractor to us unrepaired so we can keep using the loader and EA Wicked Grapple while we wait for the dealer to submit the warranty claim to Massey* and get approval to fix it. So they seem to be willing to get it fixed, but it certainly seems like it may take a while. Good thing the grapple is on the way, shipped yesterday, and I have lots of stuff I need to do with that.

*The dealer's certified Massey tech left so we are being delayed while a new tech gets certified.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #113  
My Massey 1742 that only had 80 hours on it then sat under 5 feet of water last year in the floods in the midwest had supporfs on both sides of the 3 point arm pivot.
My 1755 replacment tractor is exactly the the same with the exception of the auxiliary lift cylinder in the left side, the pin goes ALL the way through both ears, 3point arm and cylinder. And man, what a difference in the lift capacity between the 1742 and the 1755! As much as I loved my tractor that got totaled, I have to say I love the new one much more, bittersweet, lol. 20200724_175220.jpg20200724_175215.jpg

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #114  
Any resolution yet on your tractor?

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence?
Nope. Still broken. Dealer had to get a new tech certified and he just finished the Massey certification yesterday. If I even believe them at this point. Supposedly my warranty claim was finally submitted.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #116  
Techs do need to be certified. I keep having to get recertified from Generac to service their units AND expect to get reimbursed from Generac.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #117  
Nope. Still broken. Dealer had to get a new tech certified and he just finished the Massey certification yesterday. If I even believe them at this point. Supposedly my warranty claim was finally submitted.

The problem I see is that the failure is pretty obviously due to bad design. You just cannot put 3pt hitch stresses through a single cast mounting like that. Even if they replaced it with a new one, how is that going to fix a bad design? It will obviously just happen again. I'd get some sort of lemon law involved.
At the very least I would get a judgement that made MF liable if it happened again.
rScotty

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #118  
Any updates on this?

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #119  
Looking at the op first pic, comparing to pg 3, post 25. The arm is on the opposite side of the casting. Which is correct? Have to look at my 1742 to see how mine is mounted. Has me concerned.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #120  
Looking at the op first pic, comparing to pg 3, post 25. The arm is on the opposite side of the casting. Which is correct? Have to look at my 1742 to see how mine is mounted. Has me concerned.

If you blow up pic in post #1 to maximum, on big screen it appears the stud has a step (shoulder) on it so stud can lock into mount and arm can still pivot on stud, it appears it will assemble only one way, the way it was done....

And it does appear that on both sides the 3PH arms are on inside of tabs....Don't think your observation is valid....

Dale

Last edited: