Branson 3520cx

/ Branson 3520cx #1  

Bingo1943

Tractor
Branson 3520cx
Hope u guys can assist i own 2017 brason 3520 cx..i noticed few drops oil under engine
Appear to from a rubber boot around front drive shat cover..rubber boots what appears is Hose camp...Any help be appreciateed ty

/ Branson 3520cx
Typo the rubber boot appears to go around drive shaft cover

/ Branson 3520cx #3  
No biggie. It would be better if it didn't leak at all, but a lot of 4wd tractors leak a bit there. Have you been doing a lot of operating on steep slopes?

The oil has to be coming from the drive shaft seal, either at the front axle or at the transmission. What matters more is why and how much. Often the answers are, "nothing obvious" and "not much".

The first thing is to check and make sure it isn't because of something simple. So check that the front axle and transmission both are filled with the correct lube, maybe a little underfilled but definitely not overfilled, and that the air vents on both are open and working.

You might also want to loosen the rubber boot and pull it back to reassure yourself that there really isn't all that much extra oil inside that drive shaft cover. We don't expect it will be dry in there, but ulikely that it is full of lots of oil either. Jack up and rotate the front wheels in neutral to turn the drive shaft if you can - you will do that to check that the drive shaft U joint and coupling is not too sloppy or worn too much.

Then when you are sure the oils are right and the shaft isn't about to blow up you can decide just how badly it needs for you to do something more. If the drive shaft is good - and most are - then some people just add oil periodically for years. Others put in new seals or even new driveshaft U joints & couplings.

Right now you need to get a little more info and check those oils & vents.

Good luck,
rScotty

/ Branson 3520cx
Ty so much rscotty i will check as u advied tractor has only 191 hrs and leaking

/ Branson 3520cx #5  
Ty so much rscotty i will check as u advied tractor has only 191 hrs and leaking

welcome. Hours don't mean so much on seals. Sometimes you just get a bum seal - or the lips get nicked during installation - and they leak a little. There are other reasons too, but we start with the simple ones. Frankly if it were mine and I only found a half a cup of oil in the driveshaft cover on 5 year old tractor and nothing obviously amiss with the driveshaft & joints, I'd just keep my eye on it for a few years. Maybe end up just accepting it.
rScotty

/ Branson 3520cx
Thank for reply..so far leak appears to be from rubber boot..and by a hanger bracket..fair amout..i had front end lifted greaing...notice leak was worse..think front seal...plus front axle was low on hole...Question is this something i can do...im kinda ok at wrenching..no branson dealers even close to me Minnesota..Not finding repair manuals...thank u for assistance...

/ Branson 3520cx #8  
Thank for reply..so far leak appears to be from rubber boot..and by a hanger bracket..fair amout..i had front end lifted greaing...notice leak was worse..think front seal...plus front axle was low on hole...Question is this something i can do...im kinda ok at wrenching..no branson dealers even close to me Minnesota..Not finding repair manuals...thank u for assistance...

Well, it can be fixed of course. This is just bolting and taking things apart and putting it back together while keeping all the shims strictly labeled and in order. Or maybe none of that is required and that seal can be put in from outside. Wouldn't that be sweet?

All the compact front 4wd axles are very similar now. So chances are good that your whole front axle can be rebuilt with reference to a general 4wd front axle shop manual. Anyway, that is where I would start - with some study of some good manuals.
While you are at it, check if Branson designed their own front axle or are using someone elses.

If you have to unbolt to go inside the axle, the seals are like bearings - they are made to universal sizes and rarely if ever are they proprietary to one brand. For bearings and seals the ID for the part is printed right on the part. So you can buy either online or off the shelf . That goes for a lot of tractor parts, by the way. Except for older days when JD and others used to make their own parts - but those days seem gone now.

Changing to a more viscous multiweight oil such as 70w-85 gear lube in the front axle might slow it down. Adding a cup of oil now and then with a drain pan under is still a solution.

rScotty

/ Branson 3520cx
Well, it can be fixed of course. This is just bolting and taking things apart and putting it back together while keeping all the shims strictly labeled and in order. Or maybe none of that is required and that seal can be put in from outside. Wouldn't that be sweet?

All the compact front 4wd axles are very similar now. So chances are good that your whole front axle can be rebuilt with reference to a general 4wd front axle shop manual. Anyway, that is where I would start - with some study of some good manuals.
While you are at it, check if Branson designed their own front axle or are using someone elses.

If you have to unbolt to go inside the axle, the seals are like bearings - they are made to universal sizes and rarely if ever are they proprietary to one brand. For bearings and seals the ID for the part is printed right on the part. So you can buy either online or off the shelf . That goes for a lot of tractor parts, by the way. Except for older days when JD and others used to make their own parts - but those days seem gone now.

Changing to a more viscous multiweight oil such as 70w-85 gear lube in the front axle might slow it down. Adding a cup of oil now and then with a drain pan under is still a solution.

rScotty
Omg thank but lost oil so it has to be repairf...lol im 80 yrs old but i will try 🤣 thank for help

/ Branson 3520cx #10  
Ok, but again, unless the axle went clear dry for so long it ruined the front axle I'd just add oil occasionally. The books call for filling the front axle housing about half full of oil, but looking at most of them I see no reason why it cannot by filled just to the bottom of the input bearing.

I do agree that projects can be valuable when you are older. I'm about the same age and found it really helps me to have a project to do. Just finished re-wiring the entire barn this year. And finished a major tune up and and refurbish of the old JD this fall. Now looking for a winter project..... I'm trying cut down on the mechanical projects though.

Of all the things you might have to fix on a tractor, a front axle is one of the nicest for an old guy. It's fairly clean, the parts are straightforward and not heavy, and best of all the axle is not hard to take off the tractor and have someone put it up on a bench where you can rebuild it completely without having to bend over so much.

A few years ago my wife insisted that we buy a brand new tractor so we would have at least one tractor we could always count on when we needed it. So we did and it has been a big help to us. A Kubota M59.
rScotty

Last edited: