Branson 5520R 50Hrs Service

/ Branson 5520R 50Hrs Service #1  

Phattruck

Tractor
Branson 5520R
My Branson 5520R is approaching its 50Hrs service mark, I ordered the filters, 15W-40 oil, and 80W-90 gear oil. But I'm stuck on which Transmission/Hydraulic fluid to get, Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid from TSC looks good but I'm also considering the Chevron THF 1000 at a higher cost. 👎
Can you guys or gals advise me about if Traveller is a good Transmission/Hydraulic fluid for my Branson? I'm asking because there's no cross reference anywhere pointing the Traveller brand.
I've been browsing all over but I found no concrete answer to my dilemma, also the confusing TSC web page advertising two Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid that looks the same on their page but one at $42.99 and the other one $61.99. Please help.

/ Branson 5520R 50Hrs Service #2  
I used Mobile 424 tractor fluid.

/ Branson 5520R 50Hrs Service #3  
Mine was a bit more then that;
I'm using Cen-Pe-Co multi purpose fluid.
It's not cheap but it is a very high quality multi-purpose fluid.

Attachments

• Cen_Pe_Co_MPHWB.pdf
    467.3 KB · Views: 93
   / Branson 5520R 50Hrs Service #4  
The TSC fluid is being used in many high dollar tractors-that's a fact. As an "oil thread" this is no doubt highly disscussionable... :LOL:

/ Branson 5520R 50Hrs Service #5  
The TSC stuff might be ok. But there's no testing of tractor fluids to see if they meet standards. The oil manufacturer can claim whatever they want. I trust major companies like Chevron and Mobil more than TSC.

My owner's manual lists actual brands/models of oil instead of standards. Chevron THF1000 was one of the ones they listed. Being under warranty you might consider sticking with the THF.

If you can get THF1000 without paying for individual shipping you should be able to get it for less than $61/pail.

/ Branson 5520R 50Hrs Service #6  
I'm not endorsing Travelers brand however i have seen this very topic discussed on this forum as well as other tractor forums. I have never seen a failure reported from the use of Travelers. I did see a complaint about water in the buckets where apparently pallets of the oil were exposed to rain and water that gathered on the top of the buckets somehow found its way inside.
That all being said, I am guessing there are tens of thousands of tractors and other equipment currently in use with this oil. Private labeling is common. Napa brand motor oil is nothing more than Valvoline. Travelers is most likely a very well known and reputable brand.

/ Branson 5520R 50Hrs Service #7  
I don't shop Tractor Supplys brand of oils so I haven't watched closely but I see that their supplier of the so called "303" and they have had a class action lawsuit about the oils not meeting the advertised spec.
I do buy some of my brand name oil from them or Wally world.com

/ Branson 5520R 50Hrs Service #8  
I'm not by any means an authority. My understanding (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) "303" should not be used in anything but the older vintage tractors. It does not meet recommended or have the recommended ratings to be used in a more modern tractor. Very cheap stuff and those who may shop buy price only may get themselves in trouble. Cheap is not a good way to shop, or is most expensive. Just make sure it meets or exceeds the recommendations of your tractor manufacturer. As for the "303" lawsuit I know nothing about. I will see if I can find more info.

/ Branson 5520R 50Hrs Service #9  
303 is a no no. lot's of states have a stop sale on 303 now and it is getting harder to find. That's a good thing.

Travellers is blended by one of the warren companies. I'm sure it decent stuff, I probably would have used it if Mobil 424 was not on sale.

/ Branson 5520R 50Hrs Service
Thank you to everyone for the great input/recommendation, really appreciated.