Broke my side-link.....AGAIN

/ Broke my side-link.....AGAIN
It's obvious why it keeps breaking- look at pic 2 where you used purple bubble gum to hold it together!:laughing::eek:

What do you do that stresses them enough to break them?

Not sure really? Could be the really heavy cutter I use?? Allthough this was the first time it broke with the cutter on, and 90% of the time the cutter is on....half of the weight is on the tailwheel. I know when blading and catching a root and raising the hitch, it puts way more pressure on them than the bushhog.

I think it is just a weak design with undersized parts. Even the factory kubota toplink was really small.

Here is a shot of the side link next to a standard TSC cat I toplink, this will show you how small my sidelinks really are

IMG_20131029_131833_009.jpg

/ Broke my side-link.....AGAIN #12  
I broke a sidelink lower shackle off my hydraulic cylinder because I did a bone head modification. I redrilled it so that the lower arm bottomed out in the tilt cylinder's shackle when the arm went too low. I was pulling a subsoiler trying to grub up tree roots and something went POP!. Oops!

Busted.jpg

BottomOut.jpg

/ Broke my side-link.....AGAIN #13  
I broke a sidelink lower shackle off my hydraulic cylinder because I did a bone head modification. I redrilled it so that the lower arm bottomed out in the tilt cylinder's shackle when the arm went too low. I was pulling a subsoiler trying to grub up tree roots and something went POP!. Oops!

Yes, sir, need to always be aware of the distance required at the pinch point both raised and lowered. :eek:

That wasnt my issue. No modifications, using the original kubota holes, and has plenty of clearance all the way up, and all the way down.

/ Broke my side-link.....AGAIN #15  
Yes, sir, need to always be aware of the distance required at the pinch point both raised and lowered. :eek:

Easy fix, just get some of LD1's purple bubble gum and stick it back on (after doing some bevel on the rod) Looks like the original weld wasn't much to brag about either.

/ Broke my side-link.....AGAIN #16  
Not sure really? Could be the really heavy cutter I use?? Allthough this was the first time it broke with the cutter on, and 90% of the time the cutter is on....half of the weight is on the tailwheel. I know when blading and catching a root and raising the hitch, it puts way more pressure on them than the bushhog.

I think it is just a weak design with undersized parts. Even the factory kubota toplink was really small.

Here is a shot of the side link next to a standard TSC cat I toplink, this will show you how small my sidelinks really are

View attachment 343571
Looks like it would work, but need a shorter top link than the one you have in the photo.

Easy fix, just get some of LD1's purple bubble gum and stick it back on (after doing some bevel on the rod) Looks like the original weld wasn't much to brag about either.

Yea, Its pretty cool gum too. Turns from bright orange, to red, to purple, then grey. And give it a few days it turns rust brown. But it does hold good:laughing:

Looks like it would work, but need a shorter top link than the one you have in the photo.

I am planning on cutting it in half, and only using half for each side. The only drawback would be the only way to adjust it is to unhook one side, then spin. But thats okay with me, I never adjust the side link. And whenever I need to, it usually involves taking it off anyway to get it freed up. I got the lock-nut really tight and now the whole dube wants to spin. Kinda a PITA, but any looser and it comes lose on its own when bushhogging. So having something that I KNOW wont loosen unless taken off is kinda a good thing.

/ Broke my side-link.....AGAIN #18  
That wasnt my issue. No modifications, using the original kubota holes, and has plenty of clearance all the way up, and all the way down.

Yep! I didn't think it was. I could see no evidence of bottoming out on your clevis fork. I just wanted to post because it should be obvious to no move the hole, but was in a hurry and my thinking cap was still inside the house on the hat rack.:eek:

BTW: LD1, I bet nobody ever comes along and snags them a piece of your purple ABC gum.:D

/ Broke my side-link.....AGAIN #19  
Knowing with the tilt side link I worked with Brian giving him measurements from my tractor to make sure there was no clevis interference when the 3pt was all the way down and the side cylinder was fully extended. Sure enough when the kit arrived I checked it out through all ranges and it had just the clearance it should have. My L5740 side links (the original non tilt ones) seem plenty beefy but the L5740 is Cat 2 sized.

/ Broke my side-link.....AGAIN #20  
How about replacing the weak link with a piece of chain? Did that with mine,
presto, no more problem. It allows my rear blade to float really easily
when I'm snow plowing. That way I don't dig up my gravel driveway.

Bill