Backhoe Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65)

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #1  

stevenlmas

Tractor
2019 Massey Ferguson GC1725M
Hi All,

Have had my GC1725M TLB for less than a month. I have 27 hours on it, 10 on the backhoe, and the plate that holds the rear right joystick sheared off, leaving the stick to flop around, and ultimately lose all hydraulics to the BH. Now, the backhoe is on the ground, and with no stabilizer power, I can't even lift up the BH to remove it from the machine, so I'm dead in the water.

thumbnail (2).jpeg
thumbnail (1).jpeg

I e-mailed dealer last night, and again today, but haven't heard back. I tried to locate the part on the web, but ended up having to pay M/F $15 to download the parts book. (It's only $10 to ship paper version though, WTH?).

The part is the left most (bottom) of assembly 8 in the picture.

image002.png

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can order this part? I tried to contact MF on their "Contact Us" form, but it never submits. This is under warranty, but by the time my dealer and MF get back to me and get the parts ordered I'm afraid we'll be well into October. It looks like I can fix it myself, if I could just find where to order the part from!!

Thanks,
Steven Lee
Medway, MA

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #2  
You can look at the agco parts book as a guest for free.

I would contact jack small engines to see if they have it. It you have the part number just run it through their system. I get all my MF parts from Ron's Equipment in Ft. Collins Co. They will ship where ever overnight, if needed. They are a MF dealer and can get any part.

It's too bad about your new machine breaking. I have abused mine, but maintain it religiously, and it's been rock solid. I think it's just a fluke...

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #3  
Given the age of the machine and that type of failure I'm not sure that the dealer shouldn't provide warranty service for what appears to be a bad casting on that failed part. Email isn't always the greatest way to deal with tractor/implement dealers as they usually require a good ole fashioned phone call to have a productive dialog. A good dealer will often make sure to help you on a new machine to earn your trust and return business

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65)
Thanks, guys. Been on conf calls all day so wasn't able to contact dealer by phone, but I did get a email reply from him a little while ago.

I know what the problem is and they just issued a tech publication on it. We have the new replacement part on order it should be in by the first of next week.

They had issues with a tack-weld that was supposed to hold the pin in place.

They are now using a roll pin.

Hopefully they'll replace both stick assemblies so I don't have to do this again.

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #5  
If it's a known issue one would think they would universally address it now. That said... We live in a world of liability algorithm formulas so....

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #6  
There are grades of steel. No confusion there. But I often wonder, how are castings, alloy and other speced? Like throw in two old BBQs and one bycycle? Would this QC be the same across all manufactuers?

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #7  
Hi All,

Have had my GC1725M TLB for less than a month. I have 27 hours on it, 10 on the backhoe, and the plate that holds the rear right joystick sheared off, leaving the stick to flop around, and ultimately lose all hydraulics to the BH. Now, the backhoe is on the ground, and with no stabilizer power, I can't even lift up the BH to remove it from the machine, so I'm dead in the water.

View attachment 622253
View attachment 622252

I e-mailed dealer last night, and again today, but haven't heard back. I tried to locate the part on the web, but ended up having to pay M/F $15 to download the parts book. (It's only $10 to ship paper version though, WTH?).

The part is the left most (bottom) of assembly 8 in the picture.

View attachment 622254

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can order this part? I tried to contact MF on their "Contact Us" form, but it never submits. This is under warranty, but by the time my dealer and MF get back to me and get the parts ordered I'm afraid we'll be well into October. It looks like I can fix it myself, if I could just find where to order the part from!!

Thanks,
Steven Lee
Medway, MA

No reason for you to be buying parts on a 20 hour old machine.. Why email them? call them up, is it Orlando's Garage?

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65)
To follow up on this.... I had the left stick break on me in December 2019 when I took the backhoe off for the Winter. I didn't need it for the Winter, so had dealer come in March and repair it. I was digging a drainage trench in my back yard on April 25, 2020, and now the RIGHT stick broke agin. I have 60 hours total on the machine, of which ~10 were using the backhoe.... Really frustrating!! Can't believe I'm the only one having this issue... I'm not yanking on the sticks or using them to get on / off the machine.

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #9  
Wow that's crappy, What does the dealer say must have sold more then one machine ?.....

/ Broken Joystick after 10 Hours (GC1725M/CB65) #10  
Did they replace the left stick assembly only last time or the entire valve body? It would seem to me that if you broke the other stick that the entire original unit might have bad castings in it from that particular batch. I would call them reference the last time and ask to have the entire valve assembly replaced in light of the similar failures on each side.

I've got over 150 hours of backhoe work on my older 2015 1710TLB and have never had a single hiccup or equipment failure using it. To that end, my only mechanical failures anywhere on the machine are a consequence to my own stupidity. (Over 350 hours)

Use that 5 year/2000 hour warranty. They can't replace the inconvenience of the situation but they can replace the broken pieces with no cost to you.