Broken Magnets on Winch Motor

/ Broken Magnets on Winch Motor #1  

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
Is it possible to just buy magnets for a electric motor?

/ Broken Magnets on Winch Motor
Is there some place that I could get a replacement motor for it? It is a Champion 8000lb. Champion does not have one.

/ Broken Magnets on Winch Motor #3  
If the Champ web site does not have replacement motors - IMHO, you are in the market for a new winch.

Suggestion - if you are going to purchase a new winch, choose a brand that does have replacement parts, including motors. Warn, Ramsey, Koenig.

If the Champ web site does not have replacement motors - IMHO, you are in the market for a new winch.

Suggestion - if you are going to purchase a new winch, choose a brand that does have replacement parts, including motors. Warn, Ramsey, Koenig.

It is or was a customers. He had some place "look" at it but you could tell they did not have it apart. He brought it up to me and said here is the broken winch. I'm not sure if he gave it to me, I need to find out. I thought if he gave it to me I may fix it if the parts are not to expensive but I don't really need it. He bought a superwinch s5000 for his trailer. The champion winch was to big and heavy especially the way the trailer dealer put it on. I am going to put the new winch on for him and make it removable so he can keep it out of the weather.

/ Broken Magnets on Winch Motor #5  
AAHHH--- A wench out in the weather is not good. I always had a full cover on mine. Even with that I would totally unspool the cable and let it soak overnight in a bucket of hydraulic fluid & wipe down the entire unit with WD-40 or similar product every 3-4 months.

/ Broken Magnets on Winch Motor #6  
Is it possible to just buy magnets for a electric motor?

Are you sure the motor or magnets are bad. Have you tried the winch. I had one (not a champion) from HF that would hang up every once in a while. Never had it apart and always had it covered. Using the remote hitting the in / out button only resulted in the relay clicking but no winch movement. Relay was fine. To get it going I'd tap on the motor with a hammer. I think the brushes would get stuck on the one I had.

/ Broken Magnets on Winch Motor #7  
As mentioned brushes do stick, emery paper adjusts that.
Rapping with a hammer can detach the magnets that are generally glued in place and rust sometimes simply gets jammed between the magnet and rotor.
I have rescued a couple as well as a few DC motors that suffered those symptoms.
Unless shorted out (your nose will tell U) you should be able to salvage.

AAHHH--- A wench out in the weather is not good. I always had a full cover on mine. Even with that I would totally unspool the cable and let it soak overnight in a bucket of hydraulic fluid & wipe down the entire unit with WD-40 or similar product every 3-4 months.

Sitting out in the weather is hard on stuff.

Are you sure the motor or magnets are bad. Have you tried the winch. I had one (not a champion) from HF that would hang up every once in a while. Never had it apart and always had it covered. Using the remote hitting the in / out button only resulted in the relay clicking but no winch movement. Relay was fine. To get it going I'd tap on the motor with a hammer. I think the brushes would get stuck on the one I had.

Here are the magnets

As mentioned brushes do stick, emery paper adjusts that.
Rapping with a hammer can detach the magnets that are generally glued in place and rust sometimes simply gets jammed between the magnet and rotor.
I have rescued a couple as well as a few DC motors that suffered those symptoms.
Unless shorted out (your nose will tell U) you should be able to salvage.

I was real rusty when I pulled it apart. I am wondering if something else was wrong with it and someone hit too hard on it broke the magnets.

/ Broken Magnets on Winch Motor #9  
Good rule of thumb never hit a permanent magnet motor with a hammer.

AAHHH--- A wench out in the weather is not good.

There are times I'd like to leave my wench out overnight in the weather too!

Fred