Broken tip on dipstick. How? Where is it?

/ Broken tip on dipstick. How? Where is it? #1  

MossyDell

Silver Member
Tractor
B2601 (2021) B6100E (1988) B2100 (1991) JD970 (1998)
Today I was doing a fall service on my B2601, and when I checked the hydraulic oil I noticed the tip of the dipstick appears to have been sheared off. There are supposed to be two indicator pegs—as I recall and from watching YouTube videos of others' services—and the bottom one is gone. The end of the dipstick is a ragged angle, which you can see in the attached closeup of the end even though I managed to take an out of focus picture.

I think I'd know if I did this! But I think I've checked the fluids since my dealer's techs had anything to do with the tractor. And I don't know how a person would break the end off the dipstick anyway, without really trying.

My plan is to show the dipstick to my dealer's service manager on Monday and get his advice and see if I can get a new dipstick.

But I have so many questions. Could this have happened with the dipstick in its port in the tractor!? Is a chunk of plastic in my transmission?

What insight/advice does anyone have on any issue here?

Dipstick Tip.jpg

Dipstick.jpg

Last edited:
   / Broken tip on dipstick. How? Where is it? #2  
You could probably use the dipstick as is, bearing mind that the remaining ring is the full mark. As far as a piece of dipstick in your transmission, I doubt it. The main body of your tractor serves as the hydraulic reservoir for everything. There is unlikely to be any way to retrieve the missing piece if it ended up in there. It will either lay on the bottom "forever". If it does get picked up hopefully it will find its way into a filter before going through the pump.

/ Broken tip on dipstick. How? Where is it? #3  
The other good thing. It appears the dip stick is plastic. If it should get into any of the transmission it should cause no harm. It would simply get chewed to smaller pieces and, perhaps, end up on one of your filters.

How did the end get chewed off ?? Only thing I can think. The OEM dipstick came up missing at the dealership when they were doing the initial service. This dipstick is a replacement and not exactly designed for your tractor. IE - it is too long.

When at the dealership - pull the dipstick on a similar model and see what it looks like.

Last edited:
   / Broken tip on dipstick. How? Where is it?
Thanks Roadworthy and oosik. There were several niggling problems with my tractor from dealer setup, but I am pretty sure the plastic dipstick had two indicator pegs. My theory is there was a flaw in the plastic.

I'm thinking I "should" change the fluid and filters but that if it was going to do any damage it would've done it.

/ Broken tip on dipstick. How? Where is it? #5  
Never seen that happen before :oops: be interest to see if piece makes to filter.

/ Broken tip on dipstick. How? Where is it? #6  
Would be nice to have a dip stick for hydraulic oil on my 13 year old L4400, the little glass eye bubble is useless. Stays covered by dirt. I use a extra long screwdriver at the moment.:)