Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
A friend is looking at purchasing a used MF1528 tractor with hydrostatic transmission in great condition (I know the current owner). Will the 1528 (28.4 gross HP, 22.3 PTO HP) handle a 5 foot brush hog OK? A 4 footer will not quite cover his tracks.

I run a 5 footer on my NH TC33D (33 gross HP, 26.9 at the PTO), and it's a good match. I'm a little worried about the 4.5 less HP on the MF1528. Has anyone here actually used this combination? If so, in what conditions (e.g. cutting saplings vs mowing tall grass in a pasture)?

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor #2  
No problem. The hydrostat hinders output but it will still be just fine. I run 2 different Kubota B2150's and have had bush hogs on both of them. I use a 5ft hog (Bush Hog brand) on one of them and it is not taxed or strained. The B2150 is a 4cyl older 24 horse (less at the PTO of course) machine. I have mowed grass and light brush with it but not 3" saplings or anything like that. It will easily mow any height heavy grass and woody weeds and light brush but not small sapling stuff. Of course it depends a whole bunch on what he wants to mow. Sharp blades help of course...

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor #3  
It is generally recommended to have five horsepower per foot of rotary cutter however I used a five foot cutter on a 23 PTO HP tractor for years. The five hp per foot is just a rule of thumb.

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor #4  
It is generally recommended to have five horsepower per foot of rotary cutter however I used a five foot cutter on a 23 PTO HP tractor for years. The five hp per foot is just a rule of thumb.

Yeah and the rule of thumb sometimes doesn't fit at the far ends of the range -- like I have a 7ft. Bush Hog that I use on an 81 horse 2660 tractor. It would not be suitable for a 35 horse tractor, that's for sure. (5 hp per foot being 5x7=35)

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor #5  
i own a MF 1529 gear drive. i run a five foot bush hog 215 cutter. no problem.

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor
Thanks, everyone. I was aware of the 5HP per foot rule of thumb, but I'm also aware that sometimes rules of thumb just don't work. Glad to hear that a 5 footer is likely a viable option with a 1528

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor #7  
I also have 1529 gear drive. Run a 5 foot Howes rotary cutter without any issues.

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor #8  
I wager you will find that a 5 ft hog is the most common size used on tractors in the 25 to 35 HP range.

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor #9  
can he hook to yours to test for a few before deciding?

FWIW the 1532 I use, the owners run a woods RC5 rotary mower on it and seems to work ok. that is 26.5 pto HP claimed so right at edge of the 5hp rule.

/ Brush hog size for MF 1528 tractor
Well, my friend bought the tractor, and the very nice Timberwolf TW-3 3 pt hitch mounted splitter that was for sale with it. Splitter is powered by a large PTO-driven hydraulic pump, so it gets great speed even at moderate tractor RPMs.

He owns a 5 foot brush mower (not sure of the brand), so he tried it out. He said it cut OK, but it was going to take some getting used to the narrow track width - it just felt a little tippy to him. At my suggestion, he checked the rear wheels: they were mounted dished in (making the rear track narrower than the front wheels). Swapping them around will gain him about 6 inches.

Thanks for the help here, folks.