Bucket Cutting edge???

/ Bucket Cutting edge??? #1  

griz

Tractor
Case DX 40 8/1/03
Hello! I asked my nh dealer to get a toothbar for a q/a bucket and he said all he can get for it is a "cutting Edge". Does anyone know what it is and is it as good. I think there is something wrong with his answer because I see that some of you with the tc40's have a toothbar and I have talked to a case dealer that said he can get one on a d40. Anyways if anyone has any opionions on the "cutting edge" let me know. Thanks, Griz.

/ Bucket Cutting edge??? #2  
The cutting edge fits over the existing cutting edge of your bucket just like a toothbar would. The advantage is that you don't wear down the cutting edge welded onto your bucket. The disadvantage is that it sticks down below the bottom of the bucket much further. Unless you are doing a lot of loader work on paved surfaces I wouldn't get one.

/ Bucket Cutting edge??? #3  
You can get a toothbar for just about any bucket that fit's a compact tractor. If your dealer doesn't have a clue, visit Carver's website. They will ship one to you for a good price. Several folks here have toothbars from Carver and have been very happy with them. I believe they are sold in either 1/2" or 1" increments of length. Measure the width of your bucket to the inside edges of the side plates on the bucket. You want one that will fit inside this dimensions easily. A really snug fit is not desirable, since it makes getting the toothbar on and off a real pain (I had to take a grinder to mine to loosen up the fit a bit).

I bought a Woods toothbar from my NH dealer. It made a whale of a difference when digging into hard packed dirt, and also made it easier to pop rocks up out of the ground (maybe some day I'll get a backhoe...)

John Mc

/ Bucket Cutting edge??? #4  
Here is a picture of the NH cutting edge installed on my heavy duty loader bucket. It adds a lot of strength to the cutting edge and is reversible. Also many toothbars will fit over the cutting edge, giving you the best of both worlds. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 293814-CutterBar.jpg
    293814-CutterBar.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 288
   / Bucket Cutting edge???
Thanks guys for the quick response, info, and pictures. This is such a great site. Thanks, Griz.