Bucket Forks

TWINKLE_TOES

Veteran Member
Looking for advice on loader forks for my B21 (TL421 Loader). I looked at quite a few but not having any experience thought maybe I should ask. My use is lifting Pallets, irregular objects (stumps) and big ole rolls of black berries that I can't seem to get in the bucket.

scruffy

Veteran Member
Tractor
None (at present)
Twinkle Toes, The following is a cut and paste of a response made by Harv down on the Rural/culvert project initially posted by Harv:
About the bucket forks --

Do you like them?

I love them to pieces. Handiest bang for the buck so far.

Have you tried them to lift and carry brush?

A little, and they worked great. I'll be doing a lot more of that pretty soon.

How long to get on and off?

Less than a minute for both forks. (See attachment)

Where did you get them?

I just told my tractor broker ('Miracle Mike') I wanted them and they arrived with the tractor. They're Gearmore forks, so they should be pretty easy to come by.

How much?

I paid $350 through Miracle Mike. Brand new.

I got the smallest of the four available sizes. They weigh 90 lbs. apiece (one reason for getting the small ones), but the built-in handles make them quite easy to handle. They are 2 x 3 x 32 inches and have a lift capacity of 1,000 pounds (more than my loader).

I did connect with the bucket rake manufacturer, as I mentioned in a previous post, but when neither Miracle Mike nor 2 tractor dealers I talked to had never seen or heard of them, I got cold feet. The $600 price tag didn't help any, either.

Fact is, I really I wish I had the bucket rake for my trail blazing adventure the next couple of days, but I'm gonna just get familiar with what I do have and keep the rake in the back of my mind.

Feel free to get one and let me know what you think.

ONCE AGAIN, that was posted by Harv.

OP
T

TWINKLE_TOES

Veteran Member
Thanks Scruffy,(and Harv)
Sounds like Harv is a happy forker. I never looked at Gearmore, I will check them out. I did see the $600 price tag on a lot of brands.

scruffy

Veteran Member
Tractor
None (at present)
Twinkle Toes, you should probably scroll down and take a look at the string, at least to get the proper context of Harv's post. He appears to like his bucket forks very much.
Can't say I blame him, I can think of a few times (more than a few) that they would have been very handy to have around!

Tinmann

Tractor
3710 HST
I bought a set for my 3710 but I am sure they would basically be the same. Mine do not connect to the front loader, instead I disconnect the loader by way of a quick disconnect and can have the forks and all on in about 3-4 minutes. The dealer told me this was a better setup because the weight of the loader is off the tractor thereby being able to lift even more. For my setup it was about $1200 for the total package, disconnect, a set of 42 inch forks along with the rear mounting plate. I couldn't get along without them. They are on an equal with the front loader as far as being used and being handy to lift things. I use them to move trees, stumps and brush to the burn piles. I would buy them again in a second!!! Highly recommended!

TomG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1710: Loader, Hoe, Snowblower, Box scrapper & 3ph Forks
If you're lifting pallets, then you probably want forks that have adjustable widths. For safety, you also want a backrest, or carriage, that is as tall as the loads worked. It's not good to risk a load falling off the back of the forks during a high lift. Note that with loader type forks, the load is over the tractor when it's raised high. I think these features eliminate many of the simpler bucket add-on type forks. I believe that some bucket replacement units have these features, but they also are a bit pricey.

I ended up with 3ph pallet forks myself. The true vertical lift and carriage tilt is good, and the load is carried on the back wheels (where it belongs). In addition, I always have a steel carriage frame as well as the ROPS bar between the load and me. However, I got 3ph forks mainly because I wanted to use the loader bucket and forks at the same time, and the price of the 3ph forks wasn't much more than a loader type with the features I wanted. The 3ph forks also have a side-shift option, which I didn't get, and I'm not sure loader type forks have such an option.

bsauter

Silver Member
Tractor
L3010 HST
I just got some forks at my Kubota dealer last week. They are from AgriTek (made in Michigan) and cost me $375. I needed them quickly to help move a huge brush pile that I didn't relish loading on a trailer by hand. Work great. Two seperate units that attach to the bucket with chain binders. Takes about a minute to do. Very secure. Don't know if I really like the binders, I've always considered them a pain but seem to work well.

Brad, Kubota L3010HST, loader, R4 tires
Pictures at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=179207&a=9183978

TomG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yep, I couldn't get along without my 3ph forks either. They end up on the 3ph more often than not. I can plan other projects and know when I need a particular 3ph implement, but I never know when I need to lift something heavy and bulky. Of course, pretty soon I'll never know when it's going to snow, so I guess the blower will be on most times.

A few days ago, I brought the tractor back from our camp. I loaded a 6' scraper into a pickup bed with a cap on it, and a backhoe onto a utility trailer--each implement was setting loosely on pallets. I took the implements home, returned, drove the tractor home and then unloaded the implements.

There's a bunch of lifting problems that have to be solved for such work. I might have been able to figure out how to do it with bucket and chain, but the idea seems pretty iffy. Real pallet forks, whether a 3ph or a bucket replacement type, are great--especially if you've got to work alone. Without the forks, I think I would have had to put the bite on some neighbours to help muscle the stuff around.

TomG

Platinum Member
Tractor
With binders, I usually run a chain loop secured with grab hooks. If the loop needs tightening, I just grab onto the loop in two places with the binder hooks and close it. Then, there's a slack length of chain between the two binder hooks. I like that better than trying to piece the binder directly in the chain loop. Still sort of a pain though.

I've got old style binders, and I have to tie the handles closed to make sure the binders don't pop open in route. I haven't seen the new style binders, but they're probably less of a pain.