Building The Outdoor Stairs

/ Building The Outdoor Stairs #1  

ArtMech

Platinum Member
Tractor
Present: 2003 Kubota M9000 DTF; 2001 Kubota GB15. Sold: 1985 Kubota L2202
Here comes the time to build the concrete outdoor stairs at the entrance of the house. The process is stopped due to the winter time. I have covered the stairs to prevent concrete from sucking the water, wet snow and freeze. The last 2 upper stairs will be finished next year.

I'm doing that myself, although it's not my profession. That's why any comment or advice what must be taken into account will be much appreciated.
There are a few pic of the job done till Oct 6, 2021.

20190615_152906.jpg

20190622_162500.jpg

20191023_121357.jpg

20211005_104419.jpg

20211006_145020 (1).png

20211014_111647.jpg

20211209_123526.jpg

Last edited:
   / Building The Outdoor Stairs #2  
Looks good so far. Lots of rebar. Is there any pitch to your stair treads for shedding water? Are the vertical rebar “stickers” for the purpose of securing your railing? What will railing materials be?
I would make sure to thoroughly seal the areas where water can seep in and get to rebar as well as any joints. I like a concrete sealer after curing on steps and caulking any open joints to stop water infiltration

Last edited:
   / Building The Outdoor Stairs
Is there any pitch to your stair treads for shedding water?
I envisioned this so, that when puttying the steps I'll make small slope on each step. And before that I'll put some primer and paint on each of the steel strip to seal them from humidity.
Are the vertical rebar “stickers” for the purpose of securing your railing? What will railing materials be?
Yes, they are for railing. They'll be made of steel by the local company, which specializes in such works. They have many examples of handrails of various designs.
I would make sure to thoroughly seal the areas where water can seep in and get to rebar as well as any joints.
Yes, I know that. Moreover, there are 3 protruding threaded rods on both sides now holding the formwork, but after they'll be removed, a light roof frame also made of steel will be installed on those rods. I will definitely need to seal them all.

Thank you for your insight. (y)

/ Building The Outdoor Stairs
5000 years from now, people are going to wonder “ What do you think these stairs went to?”

Nice job.
:LOL::LOL:
But you know what? I see many crumbling staircases with cracks everywhere, even if they are built just recently. I don't know why, but looks like the builders know very well how to build the buildings, but forgot how to build the stairs. At least in my country. I don't want to have headache of it, and to repair them each year.

/ Building The Outdoor Stairs #9  
Looks good and well done. Got a lot of it done. I am wondering why the base is so deep. Looks like 3-4 ft unless I am not seeing it correctly. How cold does it get there?

/ Building The Outdoor Stairs #10  
Looks good and well done. Got a lot of it done. I am wondering why the base is so deep. Looks like 3-4 ft unless I am not seeing it correctly. How cold does it get there?
Yeah X2
and nice dirt for footings. Looks easy to shave with a long handled spade.