Bulk fuel

/ Bulk fuel #1  

puckgrinder85

Platinum Member
Tractor
'13 Yanmar Lx4100
Hey guys, was somewhat interested in getting some smaller bulk storage of fuel and was wondering what the typical savings would be over going to the station all the time?? We will be using this for on road vehicles as well so it would need to be on road diesel. I was thinking of getting the 275 gallon square totes, would be stored inside, but this is all up in the air as im not sure on regulations and what not. Im not sure how much fuel we go through in a month, it varies quite a bit, maybe a couple hundred gallons I would guess. Just not sure if its worth it, would be nice having it on hand all the time however. Any thoughts?

/ Bulk fuel #2  
I would call your local fuel supply company to find out the price of on road diesel delivery. You may not realize any savings over pump price. Figure in the price of the totes and a fuel pump. I have looked into this and in my situation I would only realize savings if I were to purchace home heating oil.

/ Bulk fuel #3  
I get my red fuel delivered bulk ... The coop provides the overhead gravity flow tank 500 gallon... No pump needed .. $85 a year tank rental.

I found it so nice to have fuel delivered that I found a 250 gallon overhead gravity flow for gasoline .. You may want to check with your coop and get two.. one for red and one for blue.

/ Bulk fuel #4  
Convenient, yes. Savings, not likely. Between paying for the tank, pump, hoses, etc. along with the fuel, taxes, and delivery it will likely end up costing more than going to a station.

/ Bulk fuel #5  
I think you will find it to be only a few cents per gallon different from pump price, but the convenience of not having to run to the station every time for a fill up of off road stuff is worth it for me. I don't have any need for on-road diesel so I save all the tax plus a few cents buying bulk.
Totes are anywhere from cheap to free so the pump, hose, nozzle and fuel filter would be the only major expense.

/ Bulk fuel
The station we frequent with our tow truck only has one pump for diesel, and people are extremely inconsiderate these days (meaning they pump fuel, then go inside and pretty much shop for the weeks groceries, it may take 10 minutes for them to come out and leave). I have stuff to do and am wasting time and money sitting there idle, waiting for them. This pump is right next to the gasoline pumps, so of course you get that traffic blocking it as well. Next station is way across town and really out of my way most of the time. Just looking at my options, maybe 55 gallon drums would be more cost effective and have a trial run at keeping fuel at the shop. We have drums laying around that could be used and we have a handful of pumps. I think i'll do that before I go full bore into a 500 gallon tank and fuel delivery. It would be nice for the conv. but I guess I was hoping the savings would tip the scale into it being quite feasible. Seems like if you don't buy 10,000 gallons at a time the savings are pretty small.

/ Bulk fuel #7  
I have a 300 gallon tank and there is no savings or even a little more. Only benefit is convenience.

Chris

/ Bulk fuel
Guess you were right, called my coop and its currently at 3.84 w/ 175 gallon min. order with no delivery charge. It would really only be a convenience thing I guess. I still might just fill 55 gal drums and transfer it into a larger tank for that price difference however.

/ Bulk fuel #9  
Red fuel cost the same per gallon at the coop pump or delivered to my overhead tank .. Saving .. I think so cause it would cost me to drive to the coop

/ Bulk fuel #10  
Might figure in your time of waiting on the pump to get fuel and the fact it is across town. Kind of nice if it's a work truck you can pull over to your tank and top off everyday while inspecting/checking over truck.