Burning used transmission oil with water in my Cleanburn furnace??

/ Burning used transmission oil with water in my Cleanburn furnace?? #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
I did a service on a Ford 1910 that had moisture in the transmission oil and have 15 gallons of creamy white colored oil.
The oil has been setting for several months with no separation.
I have a CleanBurn 2800 waste oil heater and would like to know if its possible to get the oil & water to separate so I can burn it.
This is about 8 hours of heat but I don't want to damage my furnace.
Has anyone burned oil with water in their furnace??
Any additives such as power service that would allow me to burn it or cause the oil/water to separate???
Any suggestions?

90cummins

/ Burning used transmission oil with water in my Cleanburn furnace?? #2  
I have burned used / contaminated oil in an incinerator aboard a ship - very similar setup to what a domestic unit would be. We found that lube oil required a hotter flame for clean combustion. Might be worth adding some diesel to the mix to help with the burning. Being transmission oil I would suggest a few gallons of diesel. Maybe warming the oil up will help with the separation of oil and water - would be great if you had a centrifuge:D

/ Burning used transmission oil with water in my Cleanburn furnace?? #3  
I did a service on a Ford 1910 that had moisture in the transmission oil and have 15 gallons of creamy white colored oil. The oil has been setting for several months with no separation. I have a CleanBurn 2800 waste oil heater and would like to know if its possible to get the oil & water to separate so I can burn it. This is about 8 hours of heat but I don't want to damage my furnace. Has anyone burned oil with water in their furnace?? Any additives such as power service that would allow me to burn it or cause the oil/water to separate??? Any suggestions? 90cummins

I wouldn't use it. Do the math, 15 gallons of any house brand oil is $150, and the possibility of damage to your furnace far out weighs that. To me it's like walking over a dollar to pick up a penny.

Now, if you can get the water out of it sure.

Chris

/ Burning used transmission oil with water in my Cleanburn furnace?? #4  
I wouldn't use it. Do the math, 15 gallons of any house brand oil is $150, and the possibility of damage to your furnace far out weighs that. To me it's like walking over a dollar to pick up a penny.

Now, if you can get the water out of it sure.

Chris
Man I wouldn't want to buy much of your brand of house diesel at $10 per gallon especially not at todays diesel prices of about $2 per gallon.
Perhaps you were quoting replacement cost for transmission oil, but the OP was going to burn it for heating oil.

/ Burning used transmission oil with water in my Cleanburn furnace?? #5  
You know - 90cummins, you have kept that waste oil so long now a little while longer will not hurt. If you really want to burn it in your waste oil heater - call the heater company and see what they have to say.

Otherwise - since its only 15 gallons - I think I would not risk using it in your heater.

/ Burning used transmission oil with water in my Cleanburn furnace?? #6  
Man I wouldn't want to buy much of your brand of house diesel at $10 per gallon especially not at todays diesel prices of about $2 per gallon. Perhaps you were quoting replacement cost for transmission oil, but the OP was going to burn it for heating oil.

I'm saying even if he bought new clean Walmart oil at $10 a gallon it's cheaper than a repair.

Chris

/ Burning used transmission oil with water in my Cleanburn furnace??
I agree I'm not going to use it. I'll save it for burn season this spring to start the brush pile.
I dipped the pail yesterday and there is no separation or settling taking place.
OR Perhaps I could use my friends Maple Syrup distiller after sugar season to boil the water out???
Think he'd go along with that idea??

90cummins

/ Burning used transmission oil with water in my Cleanburn furnace?? #8  
I've boiled water out of hydraulic oil. I used a 2 gallon metal pot on an electric hot plate out in the open. Really easy to do, worked great.