Bush Hog #296

/ Bush Hog #296 #1  

Stopher

Tractor
Kubota M6040 HD
I found a used 2006 6' Bush Hog #296 for $1000.00. Is that a good price? I'm not sure of it's condition but the guy lives only 10 miles away so i'm going to try to look at it within the next couple of days. He said it has a 120HP gearbox, no chain guards but the front goes low enough to keep things from hitting you. That's all the info I have so far but was just wondering what it's worth so that I can know what to offer if it's not in excellent condition. Thanks Guys! Will be behind a Kubota M6040.

/ Bush Hog #296 #3  
BTW, in my opinion, that is a fair price if the equipment is in good condition. Have you checked your local dealers for prices on new ones or if they have used models in inventory? By doing this, you will gain some insight in regards to enable you to acquire more info before you make a bid. The best of luck.

/ Bush Hog #296
Thanks Creekbend. When I bought my tractor, they offered that Bush Hog for about $2,600.00 or $2,700.00 brand new. I've been trying to search the Internet just to see what other used ones were going for but not a whole lot of luck. Haven't checked with a local dealer yet but I will on a used one. This guy has it for sale on Craigslist so I wanted to jump on it if it were a deal worth making. I knew I could get some help on here. Thanks again!

/ Bush Hog #296 #5  
Unless its beat to **** that's a great price. You probably already know but the framing on the 290's are underneath the deck so make sure you look under it to see if there's any frame damage from the blades bouncing up from hitting a solid object and chewing up the frame. If you get it and plan on cutting any brush or saplings I'd suggest welding in some deck rings to protect the frame.

Bush-Whacker makes them standard equipment on their cutters with underneath framing. I don't know why Bushhog desn't...
3323063_1.jpg

Good luck, that's a nice mower! :thumbsup:

/ Bush Hog #296
Thanks guys! I purchased it today. He turned on the PTO and let it run for me and it sounded a little loud but everything else was good. May have been loud because it was on top of concrete??? Still had most of the paint on the stump jumper and under the deck so it looked ok to me. Local dealer sells the 296 at about $2700.00 with tax and I paid $1,000. Seems to be a good deal. Only thing I saw wrong with it is that he once knocked the wheel off with a tree when he turned it. It's welded and fixed and doesn't look too major even if I had a problem with it down the road. Could use some new blades though. Might go ahead and purchase some before Spring time gets here. Thanks again for all the pointers!!

/ Bush Hog #296 #7  
Wow, sounds like you got one heck of a deal! If it sounds a little loud you might check and make sure there's no water in the oil, but those big gear boxes do make a lot of noise if you've never been around them before.