Bush Hog blades not swinging freely

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #1  

mjonesnh

Gold Member
Tractor
TC34DA
Have a bush hog brand SQ600 purchased new in 2007. When new the blades would fold up if needed and then unfurl to correct position. Last few years this has been gradually worst where they will not straighten out if they hit a limb or other object. Seems like it is getting grass and debris between the top of blades and the stump jumper and causing to bind up. Yesterday was the worst time I have had. Accidentally ran over about a 4" limb and caused the blades to fold up but would not come back straight. Has to raise mower up all the way and put jack stand under back of mower. Used 2.5 pound hand sledge to get them back straight. One of them required very little force but the other was very difficult to straighten out. plugged with grass and binding badly. When I change blades I always put grease between blades and stump jumper and they swing freely then, then squirt oil on them a few times till the next time I swap blades. So, I guess my question is What are you guys doing to keep your blades free swinging. Almost 100% sure that it is grass getting wedged on top of blades but do not know how to keep it out from that area.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #2  
I would look and see if they have the wrong bolts? just a guess

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #3  
I don't put grease or oil on the swing area (bolt). That's a sure way of creating grinding compound. I use a chain lube. Goes on wet then the carrier dries and leaves a dry Teflon coating. Too much sand in my soil here.

I never changed the blades on my Ford 954 cutter. Although I may to sell it. I was out of commission for a while after my new heart valve and my sister came over to cut numerous times. I think she had it set too low and didn't watch the dirt crowns along the driveway. The blades are bowed and dull, I think, from hammering the ground. The drive shaft ends are wallowed out I'm sure for the same reason. I just parked it and bought a 6-footer from the Tractor Supply. :cautious:

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #4  
My brush hog (MF brand) is over 15 years old, and I've never changed the blades or done anything underneath it. Have never oiled the blades.

If you can get under it again, look closely to compare the two blades connections to see if you can detect any differences between the blade that swings less freely to the other.

Maybe there's some twine or barbed wire wrapped around one that is hard to see.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #5  
I saw the post title and thought of younger years and tighty whities. LOL

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely
I don't put grease or oil on the swing area (bolt). That's a sure way of creating grinding compound. I use a chain lube. Goes on wet then the carrier dries and leaves a dry Teflon coating. Too much sand in my soil here.

I never changed the blades on my Ford 954 cutter. Although I may to sell it. I was out of commission for a while after my new heart valve and my sister came over to cut numerous times. I think she had it set too low and didn't watch the dirt crowns along the driveway. The blades are bowed and dull, I think, from hammering the ground. The drive shaft ends are wallowed out I'm sure for the same reason. I just parked it and bought a 6-footer from the Tractor Supply. :cautious:
Considered what you suggested and ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant-11-Ounce/dp/B001B0VDC2/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2UI9CJHXN3E5Q&keywords=chain+lube+teflon&qid=1658520681&sprefix=chain+lube+teflon,aps,81&sr=8-6 will try it next time I swap out blades.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #7  
have back up blades? put them on, yours could be bent from the limb. check cond of stump jumper as well. stay safe doing the job, good luck

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #8  
That's it. The variation I got was the 14oz can. (y)

Chain-Saver.jpg

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #9  
I mow 50 acres of desert once or twice a year...lots of dirt, dust, badger mounds, etc. so I have this problem also. To keep the blades swinging freely I drop the front end of the tractor down into a hole which raises the mower up into the air so I can get underneath it. I then move the blades back and forth until all the debris is cleared out - and I do this daily. Only way I know to keep the blades swinging freely - and it only takes a few minutes.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #10  
I've seen this happen when the pins the blades pivot on get groves worn in them and/or the holes in the blades get elongated. That puts more slop in the blades to the blade carrier.

That allows more junk to get caught in the slop. Sharpening the blades will help too, so take them off and check for those problems.

SR