bush hog input seal omni gearbox

/ bush hog input seal omni gearbox #1  

Mallard1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
I have a leaking input seal on my bush hog, I'm not sure of the model but the tag on the gear box is below. I have tried searching and haven't been able to come up with the part number for this input seal. any help would be appreciated

omni gear box.jpg

/ bush hog input seal omni gearbox #2  

mcfarmall

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5660, Farmall C, JD 260 lawn tractor
Your local bearing supply house can help you! You'll need to peel the old one out of the housing first. Measure the shaft diameter, housing bore and thickness with a pair of calipers. Take this info down to them along with the old seal and they can match it up with a new one from CR, SKF, et al.

/ bush hog input seal omni gearbox
OP
M

Mallard1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
Your local bearing supply house can help you! You'll need to peel the old one out of the housing first. Measure the shaft diameter, housing bore and thickness with a pair of calipers. Take this info down to them along with the old seal and they can match it up with a new one from CR, SKF, et al.
Thanks, I assume I need to take the bolts holding the cover off that the input seal is in and then drive it out from the back.

/ bush hog input seal omni gearbox #4  

Tx Jim

Tractor
JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC
Several yrs back lower gearbox shaft seal was leaking on my JD 709 rotary mower so I installed Corn head lube(NLGI #0 grade) in lieu of replacing the faulty seal. Problem solved!

/ bush hog input seal omni gearbox
OP
M

Mallard1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
I pulled the front cover off the gear box today to remove the seal. when I opened it up a few chunks of metal fell out and several teeth are chewed off. to top if off when I got home somehow the front plate casting broke in the bed of my truck. so it looks like this gear box is headed for the scrap yard.

Do I have to replace it with the same size box or can I jump up one size box?

/ bush hog input seal omni gearbox #6  

bullbreaker

Elite Member
Tractor
D Ranchers daughter'$
You can jump to a larger box . Just have to make sure the deck steel gauge of your B Hog is compatible to your new box . Also if running shear bolts the grade might change or pto clutch set specs , blades hittin . Most of them gearboxes are Omni / Cosmo etc . Is the BH's condition and your needs worth upgradeing to a larger box ? Say like a 65hp