Business Ethics In The Tractor Industry

/ Business Ethics In The Tractor Industry #1  

Cahaba Valley Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
What are the areas of ethical responsibility that is specific to this industry? For example: Energy companies have an ethical responsibility to protect the environment as they produce the natural resources necessary to power homes and cars. The tech companies have a responsibility to protect users privacy and data as they interact with their platforms. What do tractor manufacturers and dealers have an ethical responsibility to do?

I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this.

/ Business Ethics In The Tractor Industry #2  
What are the areas of ethical responsibility that is specific to this industry? For example: Energy companies have an ethical responsibility to protect the environment as they produce the natural resources necessary to power homes and cars. The tech companies have a responsibility to protect users privacy and data as they interact with their platforms. What do tractor manufacturers and dealers have an ethical responsibility to do?

I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this.

Hate to say it, but in todays world, most tractor company’s #1 ethical responsibility is to deliver the highest possible profits to its shareholders while maintaining or increasing market share. :sneaky:

/ Business Ethics In The Tractor Industry #3  
If tractor companies were as ethical as tech companies we would buy tractor only to find we don't really own it, the tractor is being used 24/7 by other people whether we like it or not, every time there's a software update you lose functionality of your tractor, and every two years you throw away your tractor and buy a new one for 50% higher cost because it doesn't work any more.

/ Business Ethics In The Tractor Industry
If tractor companies were as ethical as tech companies we would buy tractor only to find we don't really own it, the tractor is being used 24/7 by other people whether we like it or not, every time there's a software update you lose functionality of your tractor, and every two years you throw away your tractor and buy a new one for 50% higher cost because it doesn't work any more.
:ROFLMAO: OMG that's so true!

/ Business Ethics In The Tractor Industry #6  
Where did you hear energy companies have a technical responsibility to protect the environment?
They have one duty: Serve the shareholders.
They will only protect the environment if it serves the shareholder or if forced to by government regulations.
It is a disservice to the shareholders and uncompetitive to unnecessarily cut profits.

/ Business Ethics In The Tractor Industry
Where did you hear energy companies have a technical responsibility to protect the environment?
They will only protect the environment if it serves the shareholder or if forced to by government regulations.
It is a disservice to the shareholders and uncompetitive to unnecessarily cut profits.
Nobody wants the energy companies to dump the waste they create from the byproduct of their drilling into the rain forests, creeks, rivers, lakes and oceans. That is totally irresponsible, destructive and even sinful. I am one of the most hawkish people you will ever meet when it comes to fossil fuels but I have no grace for energy companies that engage in environmental mismanagement. And I think if you ever spoke to people within that industry you would find the same sentiment.

/ Business Ethics In The Tractor Industry #8  
I agree with you on this. It also means they are looking out for their shareholder's interests by protecting the environment. If they don't the shareholders will leave and their value will drop.

/ Business Ethics In The Tractor Industry #9  
On the bright side, it would come with a free GPS tracker and have voice command to operate the PTO with 24/7 wireless communication. ;)

/ Business Ethics In The Tractor Industry #10  
That’s not true. In fact it’s patently false. It’s something that is often said by people who have only the most rudimentary understanding of free market systems.