Buying a .44M, S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk?

/ Buying a .44M, S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk? #1  

JJT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro
I'm buying a new deer gun and have narrowed the choice down to these 2 guns. Anyone care to help me get it down to 1? Pro's/con's? Experience?

/ Buying a .44M, S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk? #2  
I have both, and I prefer the Ruger Super Redhawk. I like the grips on the Super Redhawk much more than the Blackhawk. For a heavy load pistol, I actually prefer the Taurus .454 Casull to either. It has a huge amount more power but has less recoil due to the factory porting. I do like the S&W Model 500, but it gets really expensive to shoot. A box of 20 500 grain shells costs over $45!

/ Buying a .44M, S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk? #3  
I have a Super Blackhawk with a 12 inch barrel that I've shot a few wild hogs with. Accuracy is pretty good with open sights and the factory wood grip. I thought about putting some better sights on it, but it's just a fun gun to carry on the tractor or golfcart for those oportunities that come along. I'm a rifle hunter, so it's not a weapon I would take out hunting.

If your set on the .44 mag calilber, than it just depends on which one feels better to you.

Have you considered some of the rifle cartridges used in pistols like the Thompson or others?

Eddie

/ Buying a .44M, S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk? #4  
Do yourself a favor and see if you can shoot both, then decide.

I owned a 629 Mountain Gun, 4" barrel. Not for hunting, but for a decent size "woods gun". Bugger was a handful to shoot with that 4" barrel (and of course I'd go longer since its for hunting, but not sure if you can get a 629 in 12").

Buddy has a Ruger, 12", and it's a hoot to shoot.

Between the two, I'd go with the Ruger.

/ Buying a .44M, S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk? #5  
Years ago, FIL and I did some handgun metallic silhouette shooting with hot handloads in our .44s. His was a S&W 29 silhouette model with 10 5/8 in. barrel and four position front site. Very handy for silhouette with that front site. I shot a stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 10 1/2 in. barrel. I really enjoyed shooting both, but they were very different in the hand.

The 29 had more linear recoil and the rubber Pachmayr grips worked with this gun well. The Super Blackhawk worked better with the wood grips since they allowed this "hogleg' to flip in the hand a bit during recoil. Rubber grips on this gun did not work for me at all.

I recommend shooting both types to see what each offers and how they feel and work for you.

Russ

/ Buying a .44M, S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk? #6  
I had a Redhawk in 44 with the scope mounts. Put a 1.5x5 LER Burris scope. With sand bags at the range I could group better than some guys with a rifle (couldn't match a rifle in the field). Great gun and I likes the classic look. Super Redhawk is huge and has a different look. Nice Ruger mounts to. The 629 is a classy SW, can't go wrong there. Of course the Dirty Harry movies ran their cost sky high.

Good Luck,
Rob

/ Buying a .44M, S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk? #7  
About 20 or so years ago my uncle gave me a S&W 29 with a 6" barrel. Not a bad gun, then I shot my stepdad's Ruger Super Redhawk 71/2" barrel and I wanted to trade. On several occasions over the years with at least 10 different people we have had both guns out shooting at the same time. Everyone has liked the Ruger better.

Perhaps it is just a bit heavier and the recoil is less I do not know. I have taken and hit many milk jugs at 100 yards with open sites using the Ruger. Only a few hits with the Smith.

steve

/ Buying a .44M, S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk? #8  
JJT said:
I'm buying a new deer gun and have narrowed the choice down to these 2 guns. Anyone care to help me get it down to 1? Pro's/con's? Experience?

The Redhawk is slightly larger and stronger than the 629, if you want to shoot a lot of dino killing loads the Redhawk is the way to go between those two. The 629 won't blow up or anything with the heavy 300gr loads but it won't hold up over the long run like the Ruger.

Personally I really don't like the grip on the Redhawk, I've tried many aftermarket grips and still can't find one I really like, Hogues on the 29/629 fit just about perfectly so I would go with the 629.

If I had lots of money I'd go with one of these from Bowen: http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/images/44 SRH AK exp. gun 001.jpg
It's a Super Redhawk (terrific grip) with the frame extension removed and a 4" Redhawk barrel installed.

John

/ Buying a .44M, S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk? #9  
My preference, in order:
1 - Desert Eagle, 6" ported
2 - S&W 629, 6"

I had a Desert Eagle, till UPS "lost" it in shipment. I put a lot of rounds through it. For a while, a local range had steel targets(pig, turkey, chicken) set up at 100m. My buddy and I both shot Desert Eagles, standing and unsupported. We wreaked havoc on those silhoettes. Pigs were 8 out of 8 shots, same for turkeys most of the time. Chickens were 6 of 8 shots hitting.

We drove the folks shooting rifles nuts. They'd be shooting from sand bags, and miss. Before they got thier second shot off, we'd have already got it. They would give us the eye... Thier on sand bags with rifles, while we're standing unsupported and knocking them out. This was just on open range days; we never shot competitively.

My buddy also had a S&S 629 with the 8" barrel. He would knock them down pretty good with it too. I shot that pistol too. It was really smooth.

The Rugers I have shot were'nt as smooth as the Desert Eagle and S&W I have shot, right out of the box. Accuracy was fine, but the trigger and action work was not as smooth. My last one, I had it tuned after a few boxes. Huge difference(it was a 357 blackhawk).

Hands down, the Desert Eagle is very accurate. I have seen 6 of them, 5 .44's and one .50. All were swet right out of the box. On mine, I did extra feed ramp work, trigger work, and had it Magnaported. It shot sooooo nice! The gas action on the Eagles really tamed the recoil, even without the porting.

The only downfall to the Desert Eagle, is they don't like mild rounds; it won't cycle the slide. And, the gas system like jacketed bullets. In the revolver, you can run mild rounds, or even 44 specials.

If you laid them on a bench, I'd walk to the Desert Eagle first.

/ Buying a .44M, S&W 629 or Ruger Redhawk? #10  
Look at some of the Taurus models. I have a Taurus .44 mag with 8 3/8" ported barrel. It also has a vented rib that makes it easy to add a scope. I'll probably take some deer with mine this year. I think they're a good gun and an even better value.