Buying Advice Buying a Foton 25hp in the next month: Advice appreciated.

/ Buying a Foton 25hp in the next month: Advice appreciated. #1  

SensibleNick

Gold Member
Tractor
Foton FT254
Hi there.

For those who don't hang around in the "New member introductions" area (I don't blame you... it's not that exciting) I'm new here and joined up to learn as much as I could before asking daft questions. I was thinking that I'd be aiming to get a tractor at the end of summer... however my financial situation has changed (favourably) and I reckon that It'd be best to get one before spring kicks in.

I've hunted around and "locally" I have the choice of Mahindras and Fotons.
The Fotons appear to be supported by a fairly well set up dealer (Kellfri) who have delivered over 100 Fotons within the last year. The Mahindras don't seem to have such a dealer.

I've had most of my worries about quality squashed, and I've learned a lot.
When it comes to maintenance of a tractor, I have no problem, and the machinery can be stored indoors.

My shopping list looks a little like this:
Foton FT254 http://www.kellfri.se/se/pdf/FT25_40_SE_2010.pdf
FEL for the above
A Shacktblad (not sure what you call them in English
A small Cultivator/rototiller the smaller of these two..

I aim to go see the importer within a couple of weeks, and I have a few questions to ask, but I'm hoping you guys can suggest more.

What do they do to tractors when they arrive.
What warantee do they offer?
How easy is it to get spare parts?

What else is there I should be thinking about?:eek:

Oh.. and one more question. "8 speed forward and reverse"... are these permanently engaged and hydraulicly shifted clutch-pack 'boxes, or are we talking manual engagement for forwards/reverse? Can't seem to find details on these particular ones anywhere. :confused:

Well.. That's about it for now.. I hope that one day I'll be able to give something back to the forum - but for now I'm the newbie in need of help.

Cheers,

Nick
In Sweden.

/ Buying a Foton 25hp in the next month: Advice appreciated. #2  
Can't speak for geographical differences between sources. Warrantys/preparation/parts support/et cetera will vary not only geographically, but by importer/broker/seller/dealer as well. You'd be best served by a local poll there in Sweden.

But the mechanicals are generally similar. The "8 speed" refers to a 4 gear/2 range transmission. Effectively you'll have L1/L2/L3/L4, then H1/H2/H3/H4 in that order. Depending upon the internals, sometimes H1 is an overall lower ratio than L4. Reverse is either LR or HR. It's strictly a manually geared transmission system, no hydraulics involved. There's a 2 stage clutch, operating both drive train and PTO.

I generally favor Fotons , and it's the only 25 hp Chinese tractor that I know of with draft control and hydraulic remotes. Personal dislikes include:
1. Two batteries and an air filter housing do NOT belong in front of the radiator. All that bulk cannot help but compromise airflow through the radiator.
2. I'm not a big fan of the rear "barricade" (behind the seat).
3. no creeper box option
4. no shuttle shift option
5. paint fades prematurely

//greg//

/ Buying a Foton 25hp in the next month: Advice appreciated.
Thanks Greg.

I'm guessing that manual is the norm for things in the price range. I designed machinery used for assembling JCB "powershift" gearboxes and helped to refine the assembly process: Those things need to be put together well, or failure is right around the corner. Knowing the need for precision assembly of that stuff, part of me is happy to know it's not involved.

So... Low and high ratio on a 4-speed 'box . As it says "8 forward and reverse" on the specs I'm guessing the reverser runs in both high and low ratios? . Simple. I like it.

2-stage clutch I know nothing about.... nor differential brakes... It's goign to be fun :)

Draft control - from what I understand - is a 3-point linkage override that stop a plough from going too deep and creating too much of a load for the tractor.... correct? Blimey... I hope instructions are available in english. :eek:

Hydraulic remotes: I'm assuming that this means you can operate hydraulic functions without needing to be a contortionist? :)

Sorry about this.. This is going to be my first tractor... ever... and I'm full of questions.

2 batteries. Is that a pair of 12Vs to give a 24V system, or is it to double the Amp-Hourage on a 12V system?

Given the average temp here I'm not sure that airflow though through the radiator is going to be an issue, but if it is I'm not going to have a problem re-locating things.

Fading paintwork.
. no surprise.... but (and I'm really ashamed to admit this) one of the reasons to aim for Foton instead of Mahindra is because the missus likes green. (Fotons here are Green it seems) ...guess I'll just have to polish the bugger.

Creeper Box
... would it be needed? I have essentially flat land, and might venture into the woods from time to time to hunt wood.. no serious hills or muddiness.

Thanks again,

Nick

/ Buying a Foton 25hp in the next month: Advice appreciated. #4  
1. Two batteries and an air filter housing do NOT belong in front of the radiator. All that bulk cannot help but compromise airflow through the radiator.
2. I'm not a big fan of the rear "barricade" (behind the seat).
3. no creeper box option
4. no shuttle shift option
5. paint fades prematurely

//greg//

I also though there was no shuttle shift on these tractors, but according to the specs its:
"Transmission:
8-speed, semi-shuttle"

Anyone know what semi-shuttle is?

See here Foton FT254 specifications

Anyone know what semi-shuttle is?

I don't know, but I'll hazard a guess: As Greg described. A Manual "forwards or reverse" selector that requires clutch.... Hopefully I'll know for sure in a month or so :p

/ Buying a Foton 25hp in the next month: Advice appreciated. #6  
I'm guessing the reverser runs in both high and low ratios?

2-stage clutch I know nothing about.... nor differential brakes...
Correct, slow reverse - and slower reverse. Differential brakes simply means two pedals. No front brakes, but one pedal for each rear brake. Don't expect much though, they're not good for much other than parking and skid steering.

Draft control - from what I understand - is a 3-point linkage override that stop a plough from going too deep and creating too much of a load for the tractor.... correct? Blimey... I hope instructions are available in english.
You are correct, but I have a feeling you'll be deeply disappointed in the manuals when it comes to draft control instructions.

Hydraulic remotes: I'm assuming that this means you can operate hydraulic functions without needing to be a contortionist?
No, they're remote hydraulic lines - to which you connect hydraulically powered devices. I use mine for a hydraulic top link and a log splitter.

Sorry about this.. This is going to be my first tractor... ever... and I'm full of questions.

2 batteries. Is that a pair of 12Vs to give a 24V system?
No, they use a pair of 6vs to power a 12v system.

Fading paintwork.. ...guess I'll just have to polish the bugger.
I'm thinking a UV-resistant clear coat might be more effective.
Creeper Box... would it be needed?
I have no use for a creeper either, but would be lost without the shuttle shift

//greg//

Thanks Again Greg!

A hydraulic top-link does sounds like a good idea.... something for the future :D

Twin 6v batteries? That's odd. Oh well.. :)

All the best,

/N

/ Buying a Foton 25hp in the next month: Advice appreciated. #8  
I thought it a bit odd too. But keep in mind that mine are impressions of Fotons equipped for sale in North America. Which means I'm not in a position to say with any authority that the EuroLeopards sold on your side of the Atlantic will be identical.

//greg//

Last edited:
I bet they're not that different. Our climate is a less extreme version of yours, and our regs are probably not so far from each other when it comes to road legality.

When I get my mits on one I'll be eager to compare. :)

I bet they're not that different. Our climate is a less extreme version of yours, and our regs are probably not so far from each other when it comes to road legality.

When I get my mits on one I'll be eager to compare. :)