Buying a used 2009 X340. hope this isn't a mistake

/ Buying a used 2009 X340. hope this isn't a mistake #1  

majorwager

Veteran Member
Tractor
kubota mx 5100 IH 484 ford 1620 lull 844b
Title states the concern, machine shows 658 hrs. Just going to use it for a few steep grade areas and cut close to trees. Open areas are cut with wide tractor mounted finish mowers.

/ Buying a used 2009 X340. hope this isn't a mistake #2  
Well, that one has the K58 transmission in it which is definitely better than the K46 but the K58 is still considered a residential grade transmission. The K58 is the top end of that line and is the only one rated for ground engagement in the IHT residential line. I don't personally own a X340 so maybe someone that does can chime in but to me that is a lot of hours on a residential rated transmission to now be used mainly on steep grades. Steep grades will put more stress on that residential grade transmission and could shorten the life even more. I know some people get a lot more hours out of their X340 but most of them use it on flat land or gentle slopes. Hopefully you won't have a problem with the transmission but the number of hours on it and the fact you want to use it on a steep grade might be an issue in the long run. It could work out just fine if you aren't going to use it that often but it is kind of a guessing game with those transmissions when you get a lot of hours on them. You could go another 300+ hours on that thing or it could die tomorrow. Just do your best to take care of it like you do your other tractors and don't push it too hard. I'm not familiar enough with the K58's performance on steep grades over time because the smallest transmission I have owned so far was a K72.

Figured I would just throw some thoughts out there until someone with a K58 or X340 could chime in.

/ Buying a used 2009 X340. hope this isn't a mistake #3  
Not a transmission designed for steep grades or pushing snow.

Listen for growling when started from a stone cold temp.

/ Buying a used 2009 X340. hope this isn't a mistake #4  
I forgot to add that if you feel uneasy about the purchase and have already made it, you can always turn around and sell it. Anything with the K72 transmission or better would be the best choice for steep grades. The first model to offer that would be the X500 series if you stayed in the JD family and it has differential lock.

/ Buying a used 2009 X340. hope this isn't a mistake #5  
Title states the concern, machine shows 658 hrs. Just going to use it for a few steep grade areas and cut close to trees. Open areas are cut with wide tractor mounted finish mowers.

===================================================================================

For what its worth;

There is a used BX1860 with a mower for sale at Essex Equipment in Essex, New Hampshire that you may want to call then about.

Me I will never by John Deere again unless its row crop tractor.

/ Buying a used 2009 X340. hope this isn't a mistake #6  

You should be good to go.. but let us know if it does not work out for you.
There will always be times when something goes awry, but JD will be in the upper percentile of the successful machines, regardless.

/ Buying a used 2009 X340. hope this isn't a mistake #7  
The X340 was an excellent LT- has the 25hp Kawi engine and K58- the K58 is not rated for ground engagement – but it is a huge upgrade over K46. As long as tractor was well cared for, you should be fine, the X340 is a 2000 hour machine

/ Buying a used 2009 X340. hope this isn't a mistake
Smooth,

Thanks for reply, I have read that the x340 could have a K46 transmission,?? it is a 2009 machine. It will just be used for mowing.

/ Buying a used 2009 X340. hope this isn't a mistake #9  
You will be fine as long as tractor is in good shape..and the X340 definitely has the K58 tranny- a huge upgrade over K46