Buying BX 23 tires

/ Buying BX 23 tires #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
Existing OTR Traction Master bars.
Considering for holes, not wear.
It's been a garage tractor, so minimal solar exposure.

Will they just age to fail (8 years so far), or do I just keep patching them?

Where to buy? Looks like over $400 for tires alone, others seem to mention dealer goods (wheel/tires) for around $300 - is that current?

Still others mention a tire/wheel production change - details?

Thanks

/ Buying BX 23 tires #2  
EASY!!!

Go to any Kubota dealer, and talk to a salesman, not the parts guy.

Order a set of wheels and tires through Whole Goods. The salesman orders them as if he were ordering a tractor or snowblower to sell. May take a couple weeks to arrive on the next truck of tractors. Or, he MIGHT even have some in stock.

$450 will buy you a set of all four, wheels and tires. All mounted and ready to go. These will be the current BX25 style wheel and tire, but they'll mount up and operate perfectly. Kubota changed the look at the last model change, but the overall result is identical.

/ Buying BX 23 tires #3  
Retail on industrial tires with rims is currently 374. there will be freight as well.

/ Buying BX 23 tires #4  
1*Existing OTR Traction Master bars.
Considering for holes, not wear.
2*It's been a garage tractor, so minimal solar exposure.
3*Will they just age to fail (8 years so far), or do I just keep patching them?
4* Looks like over $400 for tires alone,
5*others seem to mention dealer goods (wheel/tires) for around $300 -
6*Still others mention a tire/wheel production change - details?
Thanks
1*Same ones are on my BX23.
2*Mine also.
3*I Bought my BX23 new in 2004.
7 years and 1300 hours later they still look like new.
No holes weather cracks or flats.
4*Did you check around other places to compare.
5*No way would I buy wheels when I alredy have them!
6*I would stay away from that mess.

EASY!!!
1*Order a set of wheels and tires
2*$450 will buy you a set of all four, wheels and tires. All mounted and ready to go.
3*These will be the current BX25 style wheel and tire.
1* Why do that when all he thinks he needs are the tires?
2*But all he needs is tires.
3*I would keep the Bx23 all original .

1*Retail on industrial tires with rims is currently 374. there will be freight as well.
1*I would not switch over to industrial tires.
Never never never in a 1000 years.

/ Buying BX 23 tires
My research concludes....

The new part is that the front wheel each gain 2 inches in diameter (and the tires lost 2 inches of side wall). Looks like a gain to me, less side sidewall to damage. Also, the stems now have guards.

My closest dealer was right at $350 (+tax, I assume), and a $75 freight estimate.

Web shopping for the tires lead me to $420 for the set of tires alone, + unknown shipping, and then fighting with or paying to install on old wheels with old stems. My local tire people seem to be able to machine press the back ones, but hand fight the fronts also - a lot of risk for damage - by me or them.

So - by far - the dealer goods are, oddly in my experience, the way to go. I'm patched and tubed up for now, but 1 more hole or winter and I'm writing a check!

/ Buying BX 23 tires #6  
1* Why do that when all he thinks he needs are the tires?
2*But all he needs is tires.
3*I would keep the Bx23 all original .

1*I would not switch over to industrial tires.
Never never never in a 1000 years.

Whole Goods and that is the way they come. As Art, who is a dealer, said above, about $400 shipped, 4 pre-mounted wheels and tires. If you can beat that buying just tires, go right ahead, but I seriously doubt it. That is the first reason. Price. Second reason is labor. No changing out tires off old wheels.

I've bought through Whole Goods and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

/ Buying BX 23 tires
If Art is still watching this thread....

How do the three types of tires price out? Ie - in increasing price order... grass, field, industrial? (Thus I can correlate from my local price...) Does shipping/freight apply ONLY from factory to dealer, or would it be the same from factory to my house? (I assume I could cut banding and throw each tire assembly individually fast enough for the trucker - quicker than fetching a forklift, anyway.) (Leading to... do you ship tires US wide competitively compared to my local guy?)

And anyone... which tire set has the best real life in the woods - I suppose plys or thickness or such - against brush stumps / stick punctures?

Thanks all!!

Last edited:
   / Buying BX 23 tires #8  
If Art is still watching this thread....

How do the three types of tires price out? Ie - in increasing price order... grass, field, industrial? (Thus I can correlate from my local price...) Does shipping/freight apply ONLY from factory to dealer, or would it be the same from factory to my house? (I assume I could cut banding and throw each tire assembly individually fast enough for the trucker - quicker than fetching a forklift, anyway.) (Leading to... do you ship tires US wide competitively compared to my local guy?)

And anyone... which tire set has the best real life in the woods - I suppose plys or thickness or such - against brush stumps / stick punctures?

Thanks all!!

My experience is that the tires/wheels come on a Kubota truck to the dealer. You'd potentially pay shipping again to have them sent to the house. IDK. The price difference between turf, Ags and Industrials is fairly inconsequential. Get what you want. Might want to PM Art or Messick.

Toughest tire? With the strongest, most puncture resistant tread? Clearly the R4 Industrial. Not trying to pass comment or start a "which tire is best" thing. No way. Just saying. On the BX, the Industrial is the toughest. Doesn't mean they'll work the best for you. I find them a great compromise, all around tire. Doing everything OK-ish.

/ Buying BX 23 tires #9  
I went the Whole Goods route and bought a spare set... had to get the BX24 profile vs the BX23 fronts...

Glad I did...

Was able to buy a set with rims for the cost of one through the local tire dealer...

/ Buying BX 23 tires #10  
When I need them I am getting some thing better than 2 ply.
I rip them up in the shale at my place and hoping 4 or 6 ply would be tougher I got 11 or 12 plugs in one of the punctures and along with the slime it holds air

tom