Buying Used Rotary Mower

/ Buying Used Rotary Mower #1  

RidgeHiker

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010 with KL5510 Loader & 72" Bucket. Kawasaki Mule Pro MX SE with 66" snow plow.
I have never owned or used a rotary mower. I have a small project on an acre or less with oaks, low brush, manzanita, tons of oak leaves, etc. that I need to prep for fire safety (Northern Calif.). At most once a year. There are oak branches on the ground. Basically want to leave everything pretty well mulched on the ground. I will probably remove branches over 2" but leave the branch ends to mow down. So here are several questions.
1. Does this sound like a reasonable project for a rotary mower?
2. I see adds for a couple mowers around. One is 48" and the owner said like a Country Line. My tractor is 45.6 PTO HP. I expect the 48" mower is rated for less HP. Would this damage a lower rated mower if used carefully?
3. The mowers I'm seeing are not hooked up to tractors and are older. How do I tell if they are in decent condition. One is a Bush Hog brand that looks ancient. Will try to post a photo. Bush Hog site said they have been in business since 1951 - that's 70 years ago!

Hiring a mulcher would be an awesome solution but do not want to spend the $$$.
I don't mind buying something old since it won't be used much, just want it to work decently.
Thanks!!!

/ Buying Used Rotary Mower
Bush Hog Mower1.jpg
Bush Hog Mower2.jpg
Bush Hog Mower.jpg

Attachments

• Bush Hog Mower.jpg
    Bush Hog Mower.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 130
   / Buying Used Rotary Mower #3  
They don’t build em like they use too...

I am in similar and looking for an old Yazoo mower...

Fixed up an old one and used it one day and gobbled a lot of twigs and small brush.

The person that gave it too me saw what a good job it did wanted it back.

Neighbor on a residential hillside lot o12,000 square feet is 96 so he thought he would call a couple of the clearing guys leaving cards...

One wanted 4K and another 3k... a little steep when you live on 2500 month...

My nephew said he would help out this week...

The ban on gas trimmers is causing sticker shock.

/ Buying Used Rotary Mower #4  
3. The mowers I'm seeing are not hooked up to tractors and are older. How do I tell if they are in decent condition. One is a Bush Hog brand that looks ancient. Will try to post a photo. Bush Hog site said they have been in business since 1951 - that's 70 years ago!
I bought my Bush Hog rotary about 22 years ago, and this one looks newer to me. Mine had the same design except that it didn't have the rounded rear corners. I used mine for 20 years mowing about 5 acres twice a year, and it was find when I sold it.

/ Buying Used Rotary Mower #5  
Bush hog is a good brand. I would pull the fill plug on the gear box and get a look at the oil and see what shape it is in. Country line is the tractor supply brand and from my experience is cheap junk. I would much prefer to have a older bush hog in good shape than new country line.

/ Buying Used Rotary Mower #6  
That Bush hog looks old and faded, but not abused.
I bought a used Woods Brushbull. It ran 30 minutes then a terrible vibration. Bearings on the output shaft had failed.
I replaced them and both seals. It has been trouble free since.
I don't think the seller knew this would happen. He put it on his tractor and ran it at PTO speed when I looked at it.

/ Buying Used Rotary Mower #7  
I have never owned or used a rotary mower. I have a small project on an acre or less with oaks, low brush, manzanita, tons of oak leaves, etc. that I need to prep for fire safety (Northern Calif.). At most once a year. There are oak branches on the ground. Basically want to leave everything pretty well mulched on the ground. I will probably remove branches over 2" but leave the branch ends to mow down. So here are several questions.
1. Does this sound like a reasonable project for a rotary mower?
2. I see adds for a couple mowers around. One is 48" and the owner said like a Country Line. My tractor is 45.6 PTO HP. I expect the 48" mower is rated for less HP. Would this damage a lower rated mower if used carefully?

Hiring a mulcher would be an awesome solution but do not want to spend the $$$.
I don't mind buying something old since it won't be used much, just want it to work decently.
Thanks!!!
Try to put the "County Line" idea completely out of your head!
"County Line" implements are made by Tarter Gate, under a contract with Tractor Supply.
They are the absolute low end of the 3pt. mower options.
A good brand name mower, such as Bush Hog/Frontier/Land Pride will be significantly more reliable/durable.

Last edited:
   / Buying Used Rotary Mower
If the Bush Hog is pretty old would parts still be available?

/ Buying Used Rotary Mower #9  
If the Bush Hog is pretty old would parts still be available?
Maybe call German Bilss Parts (an online Bush Hog supplier), and ask.
1-855-667-0970

/ Buying Used Rotary Mower #10  
It appears in the second photo that some alterations or cutting has been made to the top link connecting point. With the chain lying there I would suspect they are using the chain instead of a standard top link. Some folks prefer that.