BX 23 Steering at speed.

/ BX 23 Steering at speed. #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
I have a residential BX23, and rather often just go get fuel on the road, in the bike lane or to a rental house.
The steering is rather twitchy, so much so I didn't want to turn to look for turns while moving, and added the golf cart mirror.
By twitchy I mean the first little bit of steering movement seems to have no slack (at speed) and causes a disproportionate change of direction, when I am trying to stay in a small lane.
I checked the book "toe" or whatever it was, and it was right in the middle of the spec.
Any alignment guys recommend settings or such for high speed (9 mph?) turf tire on pavement operation?
THX

/ BX 23 Steering at speed.
2 wheel drive

/ BX 23 Steering at speed. #5  
Slow down (your Mom said, and I do too.) These little machines are sensitive to steering input when going "fast" especially on hard surfaces. The best you can do is avoid that circumstance.

/ BX 23 Steering at speed. #6  
Curious, have you checked the front steering cylinder for leakage? Can cause all sorts of problems in control & is a known issue when steering is not stable.

/ BX 23 Steering at speed.
Seems wierd. My 2009 BX25 doesn't do that.
How does yours check per spec - front of tire vs rear of tire?

Anthony - no external leaks - very tight machine!

/ BX 23 Steering at speed. #8  
The BX series has a chronic history of seals failing in the steering cylinder (up under the front, out in the open.) Typical symptom is the front wheels do not respond to steering wheel movement until you turn it further than normal. Usually gets worse or totally fails. If you do not have any indication of that disease, then you are just experiencing the fact that these machines are as you put it "twitchy" when going as fast as they will go on hard pavement.

/ BX 23 Steering at speed. #9  
I agree with JWR as I meant to say the steering cylinder can leak & bypass the main seal in the center without showing external leakage as it did with an earlier tractor of mine. This main "O" ring controls the left & right movement to the wheels & could be on the verge of failing & you may not notice any external leaks. There is a repair kit available for around $40 from dealers if you think this is the problem. Keep in mind it may be just the nature of the beast to wobble at high speed on hard pavement. If you check the history as JWR pointed out you will find there were several "upgrades" or part number changes to this cylinder over the years & yours being a BX23 could be one of the first if it was never changed. Hope this helps.