BX balast box size?

/ BX balast box size? #1  

davesl708

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200D,
Hi Group.

I am planning to build a ballast box for my BX2200.
Since the FEL can only lift 460lbs. I cannot imagine the box needing more than 100 to 200lbs.
Does this sound right?

/ BX balast box size? #2  
Kubota's suggested counterbalance weight is in your BX Owner's Manual.

/ BX balast box size? #3  
From BX2360 manuals:

Loader manual recommends a maximum of 420 pounds on the rear as loader ballast.

Tractor manual recommends a maximum of 275 pounds on the front as rear implement ballast.

Bruce

/ BX balast box size?
The manual references tire ballast. I am looking to add ballast to the 3ph for ease of adding or removing.

/ BX balast box size?
From BX2360 manuals:

Loader manual recommends a maximum of 420 pounds on the rear as loader ballast.

Tractor manual recommends a maximum of 275 pounds on the front as rear implement ballast.

Bruce

Thanks bcp. I do not have the OP for the FEL just the tractor.

/ BX balast box size? #6  
The heavier the counterweight the less stress on the steering\front end. The tractor will spec out what the 3PTH capacity is. I would not go less than 250 lbs. I use 200 lbs on my 12hp B4200 (1,000 lb tractor) for a loader that lifts 400 lbs. Not having power steering, you can feel the difference the counter weight makes. I use about 500 lbs on my B3200.

/ BX balast box size? #7  
My tractor loader is rated to lift 1,900 pounds. I have 4,000 pounds of ballast.

/ BX balast box size? #8  
I use 50# suitcase weights either front or rear depending on situation. Neat part is the variability to go from 50-500#(I have 10 of them). once you load the tires you are stuck with that weight. A water tank could do the variability but the sloshing around would scare me.

Ron

/ BX balast box size? #9  
I love the counterweight that the BH or back blade or rake give me. All are well over 200# and their CG is probably further aft than your ballast box will be. I would size to be compact and ability to load it to about 400lb... maybe a little overkill. I haven't done the math on overhang distance vs. load but if I ever made a ballast box it would be for tight situations when I could not use leave an implement on my 3pt or the BH.