BX mower attachment: BLECCCHHHHHH!!!!!

/ BX mower attachment: BLECCCHHHHHH!!!!! #1  

George the Beagle

Gold Member
Tractor
BX 2370
I've had my BX for three years now, and you'd think that by this time I'd be more skilled at putting the MMM on. Of course, I only do it once a year so I don't get a lot of practice. I just finished up putting it on the for summer, and--what a nuisance. I had a 1970 Cub Cadet that had a mower that was easier to put on than this thing. And I have the FEL so I can lift up the front, no less. I have the 54"--I feel for those who have the 48" with the non-rotating guide wheels. I'm 62 so this isn't going to get any easier, either.

There, thanks for letting me vent. :)

/ BX mower attachment: BLECCCHHHHHH!!!!! #2  
Ok. I will bloviate some here too then. I have never seen the attraction to MMM. I have always used rear mount finish mowers on a tractor, and felt they do a great job, plus have the advantage of being able to back up under trees. They are also very easy to put on and take off, and very easy to clean and change blades on. Another disadvantage of the MMM is that it is on the tractor and limits your ground clearance every time you want to use your FEL.. So I don't like Mid Mount Mowers, and would not own one.. So there.

/ BX mower attachment: BLECCCHHHHHH!!!!! #3  
I've had my BX for three years now, and you'd think that by this time I'd be more skilled at putting the MMM on. Of course, I only do it once a year so I don't get a lot of practice. I just finished up putting it on the for summer, and--what a nuisance. I had a 1970 Cub Cadet that had a mower that was easier to put on than this thing. And I have the FEL so I can lift up the front, no less. I have the 54"--I feel for those who have the 48" with the non-rotating guide wheels. I'm 62 so this isn't going to get any easier, either.

There, thanks for letting me vent. :)

It's always a fun riot when replacing the mower on the tractor every year. I used to do the swap outs between MMM and snow blower on an ex-girlfriend's BX and it was an exercise in futility because I could never remember how it all went together and it seemed different each time:laughing: NEVER MIND THE DAMNED BAGGER SYSTEM! THAT WAS A PAIN TOO!

Now I have my BX25D and mowing season is looming large right now. By next week I will have the FEL and BH off and the MMM on (hopefully!)

/ BX mower attachment: BLECCCHHHHHH!!!!! #4  
My apologies in advance as I cant speak for the BX, but I'm hearing just about all owners of the various makes go through a complaint stage of installing/removing the MMM until they get their system down. Some makes of mmm appear to be easier than others. I'll be the first to admit I prefer the mid mount option over the 3-pt pull behind. I easily recognize there is no comparison in ease of install with the 3-pt. I think that's just personal preference and what you are mowing. The only time I have the mmm on is to mow. I take mine on and off at least a dozen times a year, and has become much easier. It does require me to get out a tarp and lay on my back and get under there to connect the mid pto and connect the height adjusters on the MAX. I probably wont want to do all that beyond my retirement years. I hear you! And I don't think its just a Kubota complaint...

/ BX mower attachment: BLECCCHHHHHH!!!!! #5  
My apologies in advance as I cant speak for the BX, but I'm hearing just about all owners of the various makes go through a complaint stage of installing/removing the MMM until they get their system down. Some makes of mmm appear to be easier than others. I'll be the first to admit I prefer the mid mount option over the 3-pt pull behind. I easily recognize there is no comparison in ease of install with the 3-pt. I think that's just personal preference and what you are mowing. The only time I have the mmm on is to mow. I take mine on and off at least a dozen times a year, and has become much easier. It does require me to get out a tarp and lay on my back and get under there to connect the mid pto and connect the height adjusters on the MAX. I probably wont want to do all that beyond my retirement years. I hear you! And I don't think its just a Kubota complaint...

Well said browneyes,

I also remove my MMM several times a year and I believe this was easier on Bota BX than it is on my current Branson 2400H. The Branson deck does not clear the front drive shaft and lift linkage without raising the front of the tractor. I believe on most models the PTO shaft is the most trouble some aspect of installing the MMM.

Never used a RFM but I am inclined to believe they are more difficult to maneuver around buildings since the 3 point would allow them to sway some. Big advantage of RFM is it doesn't care what brand of tractor it is connected to unlike MMM which are very brand and model specific.

/ BX mower attachment: BLECCCHHHHHH!!!!! #6  
I installed mine about 3 weeks ago. It really doesn't take me very long, maybe 10 minutes, 15 minutes tops. Its really not hard to install, but it is akward. I'm not a big fan of rear mowers, maybe if you had mostly open ground it would be O.K. The problem is when you turn sharp the rear mower swings out even wider, its just not that great for mowing around things in my opinion.

/ BX mower attachment: BLECCCHHHHHH!!!!! #7  
Mine comes off several times a year as well. I don't want to run in the woods with it on.

I do agree it is a pain, and last time I forgot to hook up the PTO. Laying out in the field with a bad wing trying to put that shaft on was the first time I thought I should have bought a drive over auto connect green tractor. I would bet in 5 years it will be a real chore for me to do.

/ BX mower attachment: BLECCCHHHHHH!!!!!
Laying out in the field with a bad wing trying to put that shaft on was the first time I thought I should have bought a drive over auto connect green tractor.

Yep, I've thought the same thing. It's the only thing I don't like about this BX. I'm wondering if there's a JD forum that explains if the auto-connect is really as good as Deere illustrates it to be.

/ BX mower attachment: BLECCCHHHHHH!!!!! #9  
I gotta say that my B2620 MMM is easier to mount/dismount than the BX2660 that I had three years ago. The main reason that it is easier is based on the ground clearance which gives one more wiggle room for connections especially on the PTO. I don't utilize the drive over method because it isn't necessary. For any extended FEL or 3-pt functions I remove the MMM without hesitation. Although a bit old, I am a small guy so sliding under the rear end to hook the PTO is an option for me.
Cheers,
Mike

/ BX mower attachment: BLECCCHHHHHH!!!!! #10  
I HATED taking the MMM off of and putting it back on my BX2200. HATED!!!

Now, with my JD 2720, it's a cinch! It has the drive over deck, and much more room to hook up the PTO. I LOVE the MMM on my JD, and I can take it off/on in less time than the brush hog on the 3 point. I think it takes less time to hook the MMM up on my JD than it took just to slide the deck under my Kubota.

Yep, I've thought the same thing. It's the only thing I don't like about this BX. I'm wondering if there's a JD forum that explains if the auto-connect is really as good as Deere illustrates it to be.

I can't vouch for the AutoConnect, but my drive-over is a piece of cake!