BX23 new rear tires

/ BX23 new rear tires #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
So, punched a hole, in my original, R-1, near dry rotted tire, between bars, close to sidewall, so rather curved there.
It 'ran', created crack, etc. - not really much tire between bars.
Tried tubes - no luck, went with new tires.
Dealers said R-1 NOT whole goods anymore, pushing R-4s.
Also recommended Carlisle.
I have a set of lawn tires, so I wanted to stay with full R-1 for contrast.
I do a lot of woods and creeks and such - rather than roads or construction sites.

So, shopped, ended up with Carlisle Tru Power in original size, similar ply, loads, etc.

Anyone else? Happy with 'em?

/ BX23 new rear tires #2  
I like my Maxxis Power Lug tires on my BX2200.

/ BX23 new rear tires
Continued:
'd' appreciate suggestion
I found and looked HARD at SimpleTire, the slightly renamed OTR original tires.
Comparing them (TruPower vs OTR) specs was 7 lbs different, TP heavier ( I did weight them), and TP's felt thicker between bars - haven't figured out how to measure yet - but felt like more tire. The TPS also had, let's see, a little bend in the center bar area, so less space between lug ends. Looked like would ride smoother when on road between lots. Amazon, TO - $129@, ST, OTR - about $17 more @.
Kept the TPs!

/ BX23 new rear tires #4  
Continued:
'd' appreciate suggestion
I found and looked HARD at SimpleTire, the slightly renamed OTR original tires.
Comparing them (TruPower vs OTR) specs was 7 lbs different, TP heavier ( I did weight them), and TP's felt thicker between bars - haven't figured out how to measure yet - but felt like more tire. The TPS also had, let's see, a little bend in the center bar area, so less space between lug ends. Looked like would ride smoother when on road between lots. Amazon, TO - $129@, ST, OTR - about $17 more @.
Kept the TPs!

If you use 4WD, keep in mind that you need to keep the rear/front tire diameter ratio the same as OEM, or close to it.

Otherwise, you will be stressing the axle and running gear components more than normal.

2WD all the time no issue. But who uses 2WD all the time? Almost nobody is my guess...

/ BX23 new rear tires
OK, now I need some help.

Original BX23 wheels, trying to change to above tires - Trupower in 'correct' size.
Mounting myself....
At 30 lbs or so most of the bead seats, but about a foot of circumference on each side does not.
The part that does seat seems to supply a rimguard effect - sits proud of the rim about 3/16s.
It does this from a start (the first few inches) as it tries to seat.
Done it 3 times, about to convince myself this is right, just need more air.
Thoughts?

/ BX23 new rear tires #6  
Did you lube the beads? Break them both loose and then a bit of really soapy water all the way around on both will do the trick.

/ BX23 new rear tires #7  
Also with a clip on tire chuck and a remote way of stopping the air flow if need be you can go above the max pressure listed for the tire to get it seated. Also I have used a heavy hammer to thump on the sidewall of the tire as it is seating.

/ BX23 new rear tires
Well, overnight and outside (left hand soapy water lubed, freezing, good sunshine) one of four beads seated. So, then I knew all worked correctly, etc.
It does just sit proud that 3/16s.
PAM and 40 pounds set the next two.
50 pounds didn't set that last one - so I left it out overnight (aimed at the sun) hoping freezing would cure it.
If that last one doesn't set, i won't rotate it as one side is done. I'll try to get the (repeating) trouble arc to set first by holding another arc back a bit.

(I read a paper that said lube should be vegetable based, thus PAM.)

/ BX23 new rear tires
Froze it, warmed the black, applied hammer, done!
They all sit proud, looks like a good idea.
THX guys.

Last edited: