BX2360 maxed out with 11" of snow in Central Virginia

/ BX2360 maxed out with 11" of snow in Central Virginia #1  

snpower

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere GT235, GT 275, 1025R
Bummer! Started this morning around 0900. Horrible traction with my turf tires so I put on my snow chains. Rear 5' blade, pushing in reverse - o.k. results. Worried about the pressure on the rear links. Big traction issues! Switched to my box blade for the weight... we shall see later on how that works. Going to have to take small swipes for sure. Any input on technique is appreciated. Guess I should have started around midnight last night!

photo.JPG

/ BX2360 maxed out with 11" of snow in Central Virginia #2  
The rear blade will work much better going forward. Till
Angle it steeply if you have lots of snow.

/ BX2360 maxed out with 11" of snow in Central Virginia #3  
Turf tires are the Best in snow... But you will have to add a lot of weight to get any traction... You have the complete area of the 3pt attachment to attach poundage... You will have to use the 3pt position control to shift some weight from the blade to the tractor... but like All things it is a learning process and will take a (small) amount of practice.
Another thing, about starting earlier... You can Not expect to drive into snow that is Over two thirds the depth of the height of your tires... once you are above axle height, you are pushing snow with the tractor and it is being supported somewhat by that snow. Start earlier, get a bigger tractor OR use a SnowBlower to remove the snow Before the tractor has to drive above it.

/ BX2360 maxed out with 11" of snow in Central Virginia
And how much tilt or pitch would you say is most effective - i.e. top link adjustment?

/ BX2360 maxed out with 11" of snow in Central Virginia #6  
And how much tilt or pitch would you say is most effective - i.e. top link adjustment?

Start with the cutting edge perpendicular to the drive. If it's not cutting deep enough, add weight, or lengthen the top link so it bites a little more.

/ BX2360 maxed out with 11" of snow in Central Virginia #7  
sn - do you have a rear differential lock that you can use ? (I'm not familiar with your model).

If your front tires aren't doing much, steering with the rear brakes individually can help - also can be a useful technique if no rear diff lock present.

If traction is still a problem, drag with the less agressive face of the rear blade first. Take small nibbles away with the FEL if you are still getting nowhere fast with the blade.

Good luck, and be patient - have a coffee break as needed. :thumbsup:

Rgds, D.

/ BX2360 maxed out with 11" of snow in Central Virginia #8  
Back that pretty red truck out of there and start clearing from the bare spot underneath it.

/ BX2360 maxed out with 11" of snow in Central Virginia
I don't have differential braking available but I do have the rear locking differential pedal which does help. I installed my box blade, and it made a world of difference! Good ideas one and all, as usual.

It's snowing again... we might get another 2-4 inches they say.

photo1.JPG

/ BX2360 maxed out with 11" of snow in Central Virginia #10  
For heavy snow wouldn't the FEL work better to get the bulk of the snow moved then finish up with the rear blade.